. .
Page 52 of 82 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Neil you'll need much more deflection than that.!! . . . . I had my old machine vertical in both positions and the other way is much better for access and chip clearing.

The way you have it will need much more protection for the screws, both lower and upper. Just remember chips go up then back down again so they will settel on the top rail and screw.

I'd also urge you to cover the Z axis, to be honest I do this on all my machines now as it keeps a lot of crap out the works, but it's Esp important on vertical machine either way up as the dust settles either on the backside or onto rails etc.

Which way is best.? . . . .Well let me just say my new machine is going on wall when get chance and it will be other way to what you have.!!

Where did you get those markers.?
    Ok I'm sold, if both you and Clive say it's better the other way ill put it back how I was originally going to have it!!

I am going to make a cover for the Z axis (just not shown it here) and the back of the Y axis will be covered with an Ali or perspex plate and chip deflectors put on to protect Y axis rails. The X axis belt will be covered. I'll be putting sides on the machine from the X axis rails down to the bed and also at the back to stop chips from flying too far round the enclosure.

I got the markers from Worcester Electrical (WED), not the cheapest I'm sure...

Running out of mechanical things to do now so suppose I'd best stop fannying around and do the electronics.....
    Last edited by njhussey; 17-03-2015 at 10:30 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Ok I'm sold, if both you and Clive say it's better the other way ill put it back how I was originally going to have it!!
    Only thing better is chip control other than that there's very little difference, If want to be Knit picky then could say your original way will give slightly faster rapids but in practise this doesn't matter as it will be more than fast enough.
    One thing I will advise is building in some Bump stops at the bottom and when not using for extended periods Park it onto the bumps. This takes strain off the ballnuts and bearings.
    I use Gerry's 2010 Screen set which as a PARK position so used this to lightly bump upto stops when finished at end of each day. In use I used the TC(tool change) option to send Gantry to top of machine for loading material tools etc.

You won't regret going vertical. To fully appreciate the difference use the machine in traditional Horizontal position before going vertical.!! . . . Before I retired my old machine it was horizontal for few agonising and messy months. It's replacement as been working for only a few weeks and already the chips flying around shop are driving me crazy, and that's not to mention the room it's taking up.!!

I've got some hard stops at the bottom end and will be putting some rubber for the gantry to rest against as you suggested this when I first mentioned going vertical. I'll use it horizontally until I've built the frame but it'll have to be on the floor as the tables aren't strong enough to not be shaken to bits with it on running at full chat....
    Neil...

Build log...here

Today is re-designing the moutning frame/enclosure.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC Router FRAME-2.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	294.1 KB 
ID:	14913

Had a delivery today, scrapping my original home made spindle design for a "standard" 2.2kW one...

Name:	Spindle-1.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	383.5 KB 
ID:	14915

Slight bit of damage where it looks like it was dropped, nothing serious just cosmetic and nothing that can't be sorted with a file! Spindle spins freely and smoothly...

Name:	Spindle-2.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	390.2 KB 
ID:	14916

Name:	Inverter.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	376.6 KB 
ID:	14914

Currently looking at positions for the limit and home switches...
    Last edited by njhussey; 18-03-2015 at 02:18 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Started the PSU this afternoon, got to fix the rectifier (need some thermal paste yet) and then decide how I'm going to do the fuses...

Neil...

Build log...here

Ok so done the PSU. One thing I'm not certain on is the rectifier wiring. Can you electrically minded people have a look and make sure I've got the connections correct, I think I have but would like confirmation...Thanks!

Neil...

Build log...here

Looks right to me ?
    .Me

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Neil

I would not be happy with the choc block you need some sort of insulation under it as any stray wires could short to the chassis. Also a larger choc bloc might be better as you are daisy chaining the power from one to another. It would be nice to have a separate wire to each from the main. Just my two cents worth. ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    as you are daisy chaining the power from one to another. It would be nice to have a separate wire to each from the main. Just my two cents worth. ..Clive
    At first glance I thought that, but he's using such excessively thick wire that it's probably not a big deal.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Neil

I would not be happy with the choc block you need some sort of insulation under it as any stray wires could short to the chassis. Also a larger choc bloc might be better as you are daisy chaining the power from one to another. It would be nice to have a separate wire to each from the main. Just my two cents worth. ..Clive
    I tinned the wires (and soldered them together) daisy chaining the power in the choc block which is 15A rated so I thought was big enough? I'll put some form of insulation under it if you think it's needed? How would you do a seperate wire to each from the main?
    Last edited by njhussey; 19-03-2015 at 03:14 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 52 of 82 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread Information