Page 74 of 82 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    Hi Neil,

Sorry - missed the question at the bottom - I use this tape:

Silverline 198134 Fixman Double-Sided Tape, 50 mm x 33 m from Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F80K5OS

Cheers

Chris
    Cheers Chris, I'll look at getting some...would have made machining this much easier!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Here's the bracket after I've made a mess with the Durafix, machined 5mm off the tubes (lathe) and bolted it to the firewall....only got 2 bolts in at the moment but WILL have all 4 in before anything electrical gets connected I promise!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mounted_Motor_1.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	336.1 KB 
ID:	18404

Put the nose cone on and fitted the prop (18" diameter x 8" pitch) to see what it was like...

Name:	Mounted_Motor_3.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	373.4 KB 
ID:	18405
    Neil...

Build log...here

3. The Following User Says Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

***high pitched voice***
    SSSWWWEEEETT!!
    .Me

I'm just starting to do the things I should have done before using the machine (Sorry Dean!!) and one thing is a touch plate (limit switches are also going to be dome ASAP) as I want to use Ger's 2010 screenset. Now I'm a bit thick when it comes to electrickery so I wanted to check I was doing this right before even cutting a wire.....

My limited understanding is that I can connect the -VE 24V DC to the tool via a croc clip (or can I permanently connect it to the spindle or frame?), the touch plate is wired to the -VE input (15 in my case)of the CSMIO IPM input and then I put +24V DC to the +VE (1 in my case) input?

Is there a better (correct) way to do it? Sorry for my stupidity
    Last edited by njhussey; 24-05-2016 at 12:49 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Right or wrong it works, installed 2010 screenset and used the simple tool zero and yep......it works!!! Had the bit loose in the collet just in case!! Bought a trepanning tool from Wealden as recomended by Dean and set the height to the base and took 1mm off the bed (it's really bad!!) Felt some ridges so tweaked the spindle right by 0.2° and the bed seems pretty smooth now...

Name:	Trepanning_Tool_1.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	358.0 KB 
ID:	18492Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trepanning_Tool_2.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	393.5 KB 
ID:	18493

Just need to do the limits so I can home the machine and put the fixed tool change plate on (when the new bed is on the machine!) and make the frame....dust extraction unit....put electronics in the box....etc. etc. etc. etc............
    Neil...

Build log...here

Hi Neil

That looks like a nice cutter - might grab one myself when ordering from Wealden next (I've been very impressed with their routing bits etc. to date).

I always thought trepanning was used to relieve headaches by cutting a hole in your skull - learn something new every day :)

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    I'm just starting to do the things I should have done before using the machine (Sorry Dean!!) and one thing is a touch plate (limit switches are also going to be dome ASAP) as I want to use Ger's 2010 screenset. Now I'm a bit thick when it comes to electrickery so I wanted to check I was doing this right before even cutting a wire.....

My limited understanding is that I can connect the -VE 24V DC to the tool via a croc clip (or can I permanently connect it to the spindle or frame?), the touch plate is wired to the -VE input (15 in my case)of the CSMIO IPM input and then I put +24V DC to the +VE (1 in my case) input?

Is there a better (correct) way to do it? Sorry for my stupidity
    If you have the tool grounded via spindle/frame, you may permanently connect the 0V of your 24V PSU to ground. Then you have only the touch plate wired as you already did (but not pin 1 and 15, eventually 1-14 or 2-15 ).

I find very useful the "Probe Active" green led on the 2010 screenset that I also use. I made a habit touching the tool with the plate every time I use it to make sure it is working as expected.

The easiest and rapid way to find the corner of your workpiece (nonmetal) is by using a "triple edge finder" (or a double edge finder that is easier to make yourself). To find the center of the touchplate hole that corresponds to the corner of the workpiece you have to use the excelent '2010 X-Y Probing Wizard'.

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    Hi Neil

That looks like a nice cutter - might grab one myself when ordering from Wealden next (I've been very impressed with their routing bits etc. to date).

I always thought trepanning was used to relieve headaches by cutting a hole in your skull - learn something new every day :)
    I can tell you one thing....there's no way that I'm using that bit to drill a hole in my head!!! However it does surface the bed beautifully
    Last edited by njhussey; 26-05-2016 at 11:25 AM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by paulus.v View Post
    If you have the tool grounded via spindle/frame, you may permanently connect the 0V of your 24V PSU to ground. Then you have only the touch plate wired as you already did (but not pin 1 and 15, eventually 1-14 or 2-15 ).
    Oooops....you are correct, luckily I've got it wired 2 & 15...... Yes got the 0V wired to the frames earth so I just had the one wire to thread through the cable chains....

I find very useful the "Probe Active" green led on the 2010 screenset that I also use. I made a habit touching the tool with the plate every time I use it to make sure it is working as expected.
    I don't fully trust it at the moment so like you I check the connection every now and again. I must admit that it's been a complete revelation this screenset and the touch plate, it's spurring me on to do the home and limit switches ASAP now...

The easiest and rapid way to find the corner of your workpiece (nonmetal) is by using a "triple edge finder" (or a double edge finder that is easier to make yourself). To find the center of the touchplate hole that corresponds to the corner of the workpiece you have to use the excelent '2010 X-Y Probing Wizard'.
    I was thinking of making a corner touch plate, now I think I will....got some Ali plate somewhere to play with
    Neil...

Build log...here

Well last weekend I flew my plane that I made with my router....so this is a look what I've made on my machine post :)

Last edited by njhussey; 16-06-2016 at 10:22 AM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

Page 74 of 82 FirstFirst ... 24647273747576 ... LastLast

Thread Information