Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
Hi Neil, sounding really good, BUT, please please please do not cut MDF or exotic woods without a good amount of extraction and/or a damn good breathing mask ( I am only assuming you don't wear a mask of course )

My reason for butting in here is that my father died a few years back following a long painful lung condition brought on by his love of making things out of MDF and exotic woodturning in the shed. He did have the dust extract that had bags on it but he still came out sometimes looking like a snowman!

Wood dust is nasty stuff.

It made me change my views on carefree metalwork as well, I spent a lot on serious extract for the plasma table, i've stopped powder-coating now, I have stopped turning cast iron on the lathe due to the dust and so on, it focuses the mind a bit.....

Dave
Hi Dave, I wear one of those twin filter painting breathing masks as I know MDF dust is very nasty stuff (I'm sure balsa dust is equally nasty)....look a knob but saves the lungs! I'm building an enclosure round the machine and there will be an extraction system (6" tube and for the enclosure which will also be for the lathe, welder and milling machines which will vent outside. The dust shoe will be connected to a vacuum cleaner (Nifilsk 30T vacuum) via a DIY cyclone dustbin.....