. .
Page 50 of 82 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
    I went with a small project box over the area on the stepper motor where the wires exit, making it look a bit tidier. Also adds a bit of impact protection. Inside the box I used a choc-box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cnc 009.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	14851

But solder and heatshrink, with the option of netted sleeving also work.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Cheers, just thought that as long as the joins soldered ok then there's no potential at the join for a loose connection.

Next question! I'm going to get a safety relay (probably a second hand Pilz from ebay) for estops, limits, home switches etc. What's a good model to get, I've seen some Pilz PNOZ X3's which seem to fit the bill?
    I'm not going to talk you out of a Pilz style relay as I looked at those as well and was impressed. However, I will mention that a level of safety interlock can be achieved with a cheap multi (4) pole relay - mine was about £8 and has the option of DIN mounting:

Name:	relay.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	14852

One of the poles can be used to form the latch, and the rest are free to switch whatever you need downstream. However, if you don't mind the expense then the Pilz system is neat is and is what the industry seem to use.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    I'm not going to talk you out of a Pilz style relay as I looked at those as well and was impressed. However, I will mention that a level of safety interlock can be achieved with a cheap multi (4) pole relay - mine was about £8 and has the option of DIN mounting:

Name:	relay.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	14852
    I agree pilz are nice to have but not really required at DIY level. Normal relays work just as well provided they are correctly sized.

As stated a latching circuit is easily created and standard 24Vdc relays are cheap and easily sourced for any future problems. Depending on level of safety you'll still probably need a plan vanilla relay or 2 anyway as the pilz won't provide enough contacts.!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

I'll also add that all the really cheap Pilz relays I found on ebay were 'spares or repair' so read the advert carefully if you go that route.

This is now not a plain DIY router but will be at work so I'm going to try and be as safety concious as possible. I'll come up with the number of relays ill need and then see which way to go.

I got the 625VA transformer, will it be beneficial to build a soft start? From reading and talking to Wobblycogs it's right on the edge of needing one. I well oversized it as I left the 6A in the equation by mistake for the Nema 34 motor that's being powered by a 240V drive!!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    I went with a small project box over the area on the stepper motor where the wires exit, making it look a bit tidier. Also adds a bit of impact protection. Inside the box I used a choc-box.

Name:	cnc 009.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	14851

But solder and heatshrink, with the option of netted sleeving also work.
    The Z axis stepper will be covered by a cover ill be making from sheet metal to cover the entire Z axis (Jazz's idea) and the Y stepper is enclosed in the gantry (or will be) so the only stepper exposed will be the X axis one, I might look into a cover for that once the machine is up and running. It'll also be tucked away at the top of the router (it's going 80° vertical on its side) at the back so hopefully out of the way.
    Neil...

Build log...here

[QUOTE=njhussey;67784 This is now not a plain DIY router but will be at work so I'm going to try and be as safety concious as possible. I'll come up with the number of relays ill need and then see which way to go.]

Very good point - I was stuck in the DIY mindset but that's not where you are with this build. This is a machine for use at work, possibly by others, so that puts things in a different light. I know this has been debated numerous times on the forum but yes in this case I'd be following industry standards so carry on !

I've got a load of new old stock of screened 8, 6 and 4 core alarm cable if anyone needs any, it's worth about £15 a drum on the bay but I can't be asked with that, happy to help anyone out if they would like some.

Should be good for limits and so on?

I've also got a big drum of cable brading as well.

.Me
    .Me

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Roberts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    I've got a load of new old stock of screened 8, 6 and 4 core alarm cable if anyone needs any, it's worth about £15 a drum on the bay but I can't be asked with that, happy to help anyone out if they would like some.

Should be good for limits and so on?

I've also got a big drum of cable brading as well.

.Me
    Thanks for the offer Lee, I've got about 40m each of 0.75mm^2 and 1.5mm^2 CY and a roll of 1mm^2 Tri rated cable of earth red and black so hope I'm going to be ok
    Neil...

Build log...here

13. The Following User Says Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

Np's offer is there for everyone, ive got about 10 full rolls and a few ive used so happy to get rid by the meter if anyone wants it.

£5 A Roll + the postage, so prob end up being around half price, 15p a meter if you just want a cut lenth...

Sorry to go off topic just trying to help if I can, build is looking "sweet-as-a-nut!" xx

.Me
    .Me

Page 50 of 82 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread Information