. .
Page 51 of 82 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
    No probs and cheers Lee....

I'm just reading up on safety strategys so I can see how many relay connections I need etc. Struggling to get my head round it, think I need to lock myself away from all distractions to get my head round it

OK another question, I presume the proxy switches to get are PNP NC ones (sods law as I have a good selection of used and new NPN NO ones that somehow didn't get left behind at my previous job!!)
    Neil...

Build log...here

2. If you haven't purchased your cable yet you might look at IGUS. They are a bit more but the difference in ease of flex and movement makes wiring up and setting up cable trays and runs so much easier. That is just my experience in helping a few folks rebuild older machines. I am seriously tempted to redo mine do to how much it makes getting a good clean cable run done. I don't own stock nor get a discount or anything just very happy with the product.

Michael
    Software SolidWorks 2024, Onshape, Aspire v9.5, Blender
    CNC Machine: http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/3661-...Second-machine
    3D printers both FDM/FFD and MSLA resin
    CSWA &CSWA-AM certified
    www.marino-customs.com

Quote Originally Posted by m.marino View Post
    If you haven't purchased your cable yet you might look at IGUS. They are a bit more but the difference in ease of flex and movement makes wiring up and setting up cable trays and runs so much easier. That is just my experience in helping a few folks rebuild older machines. I am seriously tempted to redo mine do to how much it makes getting a good clean cable run done. I don't own stock nor get a discount or anything just very happy with the product.

Michael
    Hi Michael, I've already got the cable ta (which does seem quite flexible, but I've nothing to compare it with!) but if I have any problems with the cable runs I'll give IGUS a look cheers.
    Last edited by njhussey; 13-03-2015 at 08:43 AM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

OK so once again work got in the way of progress.....however I managed to get an hour on it this afternoon just. I've made a "rough" X Axis stepper support plate and put it on the frame. Don't worry there will be plenty more bolts holding it on than are currently there!! One thing I've found is that my frame is not as square as I'd like, comes of rushing it to get it done before I lost the workshop at my old firm.

I've also added a couple of skate bearing idlers, these are temporary until I make proper shiney aluminium brackets as they're quite bendy! The plate will also eventually be either replaced or tidied up to make it look nicer as it looks really rough and ready and spoils the look of the build. However for the purpose of getting the mechanical build finished it'll do temporarily.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X_AXIS_BELT_1.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	331.5 KB 
ID:	14863

Name:	X_AXIS_BELT_2.jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	367.1 KB 
ID:	14864
    Last edited by njhussey; 13-03-2015 at 05:51 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Been thinking about where to put the router and will be putting it an 80° angle mounted in a frame. As it's in a work environment I'll be building a frame that can be sheeted and have interlocked doors on it......something along the lines of the below:

Name:	CNC Router FRAME.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	347.2 KB 
ID:	14891

Name:	CNC Router FRAME-1.jpg 
Views:	358 
Size:	381.4 KB 
ID:	14892

This will have the added bonus of stopping the chips being flung everywhere, there will be a bin under the router to collect the swarf which will be slid out the front to empty it. I'll mount the router on the frame using epoxy putty pads where it's going to be bolted so the bolting doesn't induce any twisting in the router frame.
    Last edited by njhussey; 16-03-2015 at 04:36 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Have you thought about mounting it the other way so the X screws would be hanging down with the gantry horizontal.
    It just seems to me quite high to reach and all the chip will fall on to the bottom screw. It is not going to need a big box to hold the chips. ..Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Have you thought about mounting it the other way so the X screws would be hanging down with the gantry horizontal.
    It just seems to me quite high to reach and all the chip will fall on to the bottom screw. It is not going to need a big box to hold the chips. ..Clive
    Yeah that's how I was originally going to have it but I thought with space now not being an issue I could have it round the other way which means that it's easier to load the work (top of bed is 1.75m, eye height, from floor, bottom is 1m from floor), not so much bending. I'll put a deflector on the bottom beam (and top) to deflect the chips away from the rail and ballscrew.

Name:	CNC Router RAIL CHIP GUARD.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	470.1 KB 
ID:	14893
    Last edited by njhussey; 16-03-2015 at 06:18 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Ok so I got my spindle mount today....

20 mins later...

Just need to drill and tap the front plate this afternoon. Spindle should be delivered tomorrow or Thursday...

Had my cable markers delivered, should have enough here for a few control panels! Got 0 to 9 and E, N, L, X, Y & Z.

Last edited by njhussey; 17-03-2015 at 01:15 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Yeah that's how I was originally going to have it but I thought with space now not being an issue I could have it round the other way which means that it's easier to load the work (top of bed is 1.75m, eye height, from floor, bottom is 1m from floor), not so much bending. I'll put a deflector on the bottom beam (and top) to deflect the chips away from the rail and ballscrew.

Name:	CNC Router RAIL CHIP GUARD.jpg 
Views:	389 
Size:	470.1 KB 
ID:	14893
    Neil you'll need much more deflection than that.!! . . . . I had my old machine vertical in both positions and the other way is much better for access and chip clearing.

The way you have it will need much more protection for the screws, both lower and upper. Just remember chips go up then back down again so they will settel on the top rail and screw.

I'd also urge you to cover the Z axis, to be honest I do this on all my machines now as it keeps a lot of crap out the works, but it's Esp important on vertical machine either way up as the dust settles either on the backside or onto rails etc.

Which way is best.? . . . .Well let me just say my new machine is going on wall when get chance and it will be other way to what you have.!!

Where did you get those markers.?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 10 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Where did you get those markers.?
    According the name on the real you should be able to get them http://www.edmundson-electrical.co.uk/

Page 51 of 82 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread Information