. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ok here's things I see with this and learnt from mine being vertical.

The Machine frame, (not holding frame) needs much more bracing esp at the open ends. The 2 short uprights will flex if not braced well, triangulate much has possible.

Chips which fly up will collect in several places on way down so think about covers or deflector guards. Collection areas are:
    #1 Against the rails on Y axis so on the top side just in front of rail with enough clearance for bearing to slide by put a short angled deflector/catch plate which they hit first and slide off.

#2 The Ball-nut mounts so again some form of angled deflector plate wrapping over the mount with hole for screw to pass thru, won't hurt to build in a wiper seal has well. Chips don't collect so much on screw but they do around the ballnut where screw enters on top side so this is the target area to keep chip free.

#3 The bottom bearing mounts.! Same deal just some form of deflector guard so chips hit that first and bounce off.

#4 THE BIG ONE . . .Complete Z axis cover needed FROM THE START. While turning 180deg you have lessened the chip collection points BUT they will get in there and the ONLY way is full cover. They are easy made with thin Ali plate and weigh nothing not the prettiest things but very affective. Something Like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0380.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	10100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0376.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	10101

Also while turning 180deg helps keep chips off rear of front plate it will also make it very awkward for when your changing tools.? The way you have it When doing jobs with several tools you'll have to lower gantry to reach spindle properly and that will mean leaning over gantry so will be very awkward.
    Much better to raise gantry and access spindle from below, I have my screen setup with tool change position where gantry goes to top and Z axis parks in centre of gantry. This brings me to #5

#5 Not chip related but relates to parking the machine when not used. You want to build in some bump stops at the bottom and when not using park it there to release any tension on motors/screws/belts etc.
    On my machine I just have some thick rubber dougnuts with slit in which slip over screws and sandwich between bottom bearing mount and ballnut which i slowly drive upto, simple but affective.! . . But if was building from scratch like you then I'd build in some permanent bump stops, either fixed or flip up jobs.?

#6 Not a biggie but still worth doing else it will annoy I'm sure.?. . . Put the side covers on the inside of frame not outside has again chips will collect and build up, have the inside walls smooth and uninterrupted and chips will slide nice into box below.

That's it for now if spot owt else i'll shout. .Lol

Edit: All the above with exception of beefing up frame work are Minor things and even if left uncovered won't affect machine working properly just annoying and over time will cause premature wear which is easily avoided with simple deflectors or covers.
    Don't necessarily need to cover every thing just deflect chips away.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 13-09-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Thread Information