. .
Page 23 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
    I was going to use our local supplier Hereford Fasteners but they were over twice the price of fasteners :: set screws socket allen key :: cap head metric bzp ::

I was happy with the price so went with them. Delivery bumps it up a bit but I needed some F clamps and a few other bits so wasn't that bad!
    Neil...

Build log...here

I must be blind today, you already provided that link a few posts earlier , I have also found a local supplier that seems quite reasonable so will compare prices later.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ok well sorry don't think I can help then.! . . . I've got one of these spare in pieces Attachment 11511 but I'm sure it's only 800mm wide thou I will Dig parts out tomorrow and check.!
    Might be interested in the gantry Jazz if you're thinking of selling. What width did it actually turn out to be?

Well spent the 1/2 hr in lunch marking and drilling the holes for the X axis carriages in the 100x50 box section. Used the 6mm transfer punch and the 60x60 angle that I've already drilled as a template to mark the holes and then the pillar drill to drill them (obviously.)

I'll probably dummy mount the rails to get an idea of how it will fit together and then mark the L section gantry for drilling the holes and bolt them together for a play....a bit like this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X-Axis_bolting.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	426.1 KB 
ID:	11568

Name:	X-Axis_bolting_1.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	430.3 KB 
ID:	11567
    Last edited by njhussey; 11-02-2014 at 04:28 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Today's small advancement....wish I could have a few hours uninterrupted in the workshop to crack on! Anyway I only managed to mark out (wrongly ...what is it, measure twice, cut/drill once??!!) the holes for the bottom section of the gantry and drill them and put the carriage mount pieces on the carriages. Marked out one carriage mount but ran out of time to centre punch and drill.

Name:	X-Axis_carriage.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	387.3 KB 
ID:	11584

Name:	Y_Gantry_drilling.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	379.2 KB 
ID:	11585
    Last edited by njhussey; 12-02-2014 at 03:04 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Looking good Neil. You just have to keep chipping away at it.

In post #224 and #221 the Y ballscrew looks like it is some way off the Y axis, dropped down on some spacers. Would it instead fit under the Z stepper motor and attach directly to the trapezoidal shaped plate on the side of the Y axis (i.e. ballscrew on top of the gantry)?
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Looking good Neil. You just have to keep chipping away at it.
    Thank you, that's what I am doing, it's just frustrating!

In post #224 and #221 the Y ballscrew looks like it is some way off the Y axis, dropped down on some spacers. Would it instead fit under the Z stepper motor and attach directly to the trapezoidal shaped plate on the side of the Y axis (i.e. ballscrew on top of the gantry)?
    Re-drawn the gantry as I realised that if sent vertical there was a nice shelf for the chips/dust to collect on. How about this way?

Name:	Reversed_steel_gantry.jpg 
Views:	383 
Size:	537.1 KB 
ID:	11595

This shows the Y axis ball nut holder attaching to the Z axis plate.

Name:	Reversed_steel_gantry_2.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	419.7 KB 
ID:	11594
    Neil...

Build log...here

Neil,
    You've turned the gantry round !, I thought the idea was to have the ball screw at the back out of harms way ? I know this reversed way puts the ball nut nearer to the Z axis but it's been stated that in practice it makes little or no difference to have it at the back.
    I like the box section idea between the bearing blocks and gantry, it allows easy access for bolts and does not require counter boring.
    Seeing as you have spacers between the frame and ball screw bearings on the long axis, why not extend them up so that the ball screw is more in the same horizontal plane as the rails ? I had them like your drawing at first but decided to raise them as far as possible. I'm thinking a limit switch could also be mounted on the extended spacer, above the ball screw bearing.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 13-02-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

Don't forget my machine will be mounted at 75° from horizontal (eventually!) so before the gantry would have collected all the crap being thrown up by the cutter. This is only going to be a temporary gantry (famous last words!) as I'll use it to cut the aluminium parts for the "proper" gantry from the 800x1000x20 sheet of Ali I have lying around gathering dust, which will then be enclosed to protect the ball screw.

I've put the ball screws there to protect them from flying crap as much as possible from the cutter as they are hidden behind the rails where they are. They are only 45mm below the X axis carriages so I'm not sure that it would make any real noticeable difference in terms of performance?
    Last edited by njhussey; 13-02-2014 at 11:53 AM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

Yesterday I set one rail parallel to the steel beam and bolted the steel to the carriage mounts to check that the gantry beam had the holes in the right place.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392459988.769918.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	271.1 KB 
ID:	11613

I had to drill some new holes as in my rush on Thursday I drilled the pattern 90 degrees out (less haste more speed!) Managed to loosely bolt the gantry in place but ran out of time so had to unbolt it all again. Need to get a shift on as now only got the workshop facilities for another month...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 23 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread Information