. .
Page 9 of 82 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
  1. You might want to use more.. 75mm on walls and 100+ on roof and the version with a vapour barrier built in unless you want to leave an air gap between the Celotex and the shed wall. If you search on the thread of my (now temporarily aborted) workshop build you'll find a discussion on thermal calcs you might find useful.

Cheers Irving, I'll check out that thread.

A couple mor photos of this afternoon's progress. Not huge amounts as I only had a couple of hours and I forgot to fetch my step ladders so couldn't finish the roof.

Neil...

Build log...here

. .You made it out of lolly pop sticks .. . . . . . Looking good.

Good job on the shed, it's gone up in double quick time. If you want some more information on insulating a shed have a look over on UKWorkshop. Shed builds come up fairly often and the question of insulation must have come up dozens of times. The other problem that comes up often with sheds is condensation on tools, people have come up with some ingenious ideas for ways to stop things going rusty but the best option seems to pretty much always be ventilation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblycogs View Post
    The other problem that comes up often with sheds is condensation on tools, people have come up with some ingenious ideas for ways to stop things going rusty but the best option seems to pretty much always be ventilation.
    It's very wet up here in Cumbria so I have the shed pretty much sealed and use a dehumidifier. Because my material is hardwood it keeps the moisture content of that right too.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    . .You made it out of lolly pop sticks .. . . . . . Looking good.
    Big lolly pop sticks :) quite surprising that its just slotted together without much fastening...4 storm braces are all that's stopping the roof from blowing off! I'll take their word that that's enough to do the job!!
    Neil...

Build log...here

I know it's a bit of a cop out but at some time in the next 12 - 18 months I'll be moving house as this one is rented (somewhere bigger and preferably with a garage) so I don't want to make a shed/workshop that is too difficult to dismantle (with this one I just take the roof off and pull apart the lollypop sticks ) so I'm a bit loathed to start battening the interior, putting insulation on and then boarding out. However I do see the need to insulate and make damp proof as I'll have my RC stuff in there as well as my CNC router. The other thing is that if I start fixing battens to the walls then I'm stopping the walls from expanding and contracting which is what the manufacturer says you have to do (and who am I to argue!!) so in a bit of a quandary. I think I'll settle for thinner than optimal insulation and look at how I'm going to fix the battening (slotted fixings perhaps?) but all this is immaterial until I can finish the shed off which I'm hoping to do after work this week!!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Obviously not a job for now but looking at the way the shed is built I wonder if you could attach insulation to the outside? The ears would act as a natural edge for the insulation and somewhere to fix light boarding. It looks like you have pretty good overhang on the roof everywhere but the back so you might be good to go. It would be good to maintain the space on the inside and it would make hanging tools up easier - just bang a nail in.

There's about 8" of overhang all round so I guess it could be an option?
    Neil...

Build log...here

8x4 sheets of celotex would just wedge into place between floor and ceiling with maybe a batten top and bottom, same with the roof, they would wedge in those beams nicely with minimal fixing.

Page 9 of 82 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread Information