. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Quote Originally Posted by ecat View Post
    Certainly a lot more professional and easy to use than my 1st pic board :whistling:

Attachment 2628
    lol don't knock stripboard, it has its place... I use plugboards now for prototyping (pic is my basic setup) but for some things where you want a copper ground plane, stripboard still works bette as a prototyping medium...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICprotoyping.JPG 
Views:	332 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	2629

Location unknown. Last Activity: 08-02-2014 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 157. Received thanks 5 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Heh, general dev board looks a little different these days

Name:	4520-Brd.gif 
Views:	296 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	2630Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4520-Sch.gif 
Views:	324 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	2631

and prototyping a little more advanced

Name:	TempControl.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	193.3 KB 
ID:	2632

That's a few Dallas temperature sensors, 80MHz cpu board, 32K external RAM, 4MB external flash and a 1GB micro SD card. Add a little test software (http://forum.sparkfun.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17217) and things have come a long way :)

3. Now you're just showing off lol

Location unknown. Last Activity: 08-02-2014 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 157. Received thanks 5 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    <chuckle>
    I know feck all about mechanics so I've got to find some way to justify my membership here ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ecat View Post
    <chuckle>
    I know feck all about mechanics so I've got to find some way to justify my membership here ;-)

Ruddy Hell ... I know sod all about anything useful to this Forum, I just soak up stuff, except anything mathematical :confused: [sorry Irving] ... so I shall beat a hasty retreat (aka Tactical Withdraw) to my little Sanger and keep a listening watch!!:whistling:
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

Tsk! it was one of these when I wus a lad...
    http://www.tvfilmprops.co.uk/userdata/PRODPIC-914.jpg

Lives in Manchester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 27-01-2024 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 31.
    I hadn't used stripboard for ages until I made Les's Tacho x2. Much more used to the joys of UV boxes, FeCl3 etc. I have now resolved never to use stripboard again. It's just too much hassle checking for shorts between the strips :sad:

ecat's Eagle .brd looks good. Must investigate ...

Just a thought about the design spec. Three features of Les's design that I really liked were

• the use of the Allegro gear sensor (it's as good as gold; no messing with slotted discs/foil/Tipp-Ex etc, very reliable, very robust -- just needs to be mounted tangentially 1-2mm from teeth)
    • the capacity to accommodate a non-standard number of pulses per rev (65 in the case of the ml7 bullwheel)
    • a one pulse per rev output (useful for my Shumatech DRO's).

HTH

John

8. Quote Originally Posted by z3t4 View Post
    I hadn't used stripboard for ages until I made Les's Tacho x2. Much more used to the joys of UV boxes, FeCl3 etc. I have now resolved never to use stripboard again. It's just too much hassle checking for shorts between the strips :sad:

ecat's Eagle .brd looks good. Must investigate ...

Just a thought about the design spec. Three features of Les's design that I really liked were

• the use of the Allegro gear sensor (it's as good as gold; no messing with slotted discs/foil/Tipp-Ex etc, very reliable, very robust -- just needs to be mounted tangentially 1-2mm from teeth)
    • the capacity to accommodate a non-standard number of pulses per rev (65 in the case of the ml7 bullwheel)
    • a one pulse per rev output (useful for my Shumatech DRO's).
    HTH

John
    All of which are on my list... I started looking at how to fit to my minilathe and quickly decided a slotted disc wasnt going to fly (or should that be 'rotate'?) Since we have some fixed gears, clearly a reluctance sensor is the way to go, so started looking for something suitable..

The software design already accommodates a 'divide by N' feature as Rick needs /50 for his, and I will need something for the minilathe and if I do one for the mill too Im sure that'll have a different value. I haven't yet decided how to set this.. probably a jumper and a push button... at power up if jumper present go into setup mode and each press of the button increments the 'divide by count' from 1 to 100, hold it down 5sec is increment by 10... release button for 10sec, store in eeprom

One pulse per rev is easy...

Irving,there is a way to mount a disc on the lathe...

One disc with a hole in it and mount it on the back of the spindle just behind the two locknuts,you'll have to make a short arm piece of metal for the slotted sensor to fit over the disc.
    This way its covered up and out of sight.

10. yes, but I want more than one pulse/rev... for closed loop speed control you can't have too much information... and a sensor on the fixed gears may well be easier...

Note: if anyone reading this has a minilathe with built in rev counter... how is it done? Are there any useful parts that could be acquired as spares? I had a quicl browse for a parts list online but all of the ones I found don't detail the rev counter...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information