. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Location unknown. Last Activity: 08-02-2014 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 157. Received thanks 5 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
    Is there not a way to knock one up without the use of a PIC? itmeans I have to buy a programmer or look for someone selling a chip prorammed using their design
    The PIC is the brain, the heart, the very soul of the project :(

If you must buy a programmer this is the one I recommend http://www.rapidonline.com/Electroni...+2+Starter+Kit . You will also find a vast selection of ready made and DIY PIC programmers that mostly cost less, don't even think about them!

After much pondering over the requirements of an 'internet project' I'm still convinced the all in one, ready made, USB friendly, no need for a dedicated programmer, cost over £25 but save hours of frustration (1), units are the best options :)
    http://robosavvy.com/store/product_i...roducts_id/726
    http://robosavvy.com/store/product_i...roducts_id/543

Saves hours of frustration? This is fact under XP at least, best to check comparability of the USB driver with Vista/Win7 if required.

2. I have never used raw pic chips myself, I have made a few little projects using PicAxe pic chips.

I don't know if the PicAxe would be also suitable for this project.

Quote Originally Posted by ecat View Post
    You will also find a vast selection of ready made and DIY PIC programmers that mostly cost less, don't even think about them!..
    What makes you say that?? ive tried many, both designed by me and Pre-assembled and likewise DIY and although they all have thair querks, they have all done the job once i got used to them, i do find that many companies try to do too much on the board but that is because they have got "programmers & project boards a bit mixed up" if i want a programmer then thats exactly what i want and if i want a project board i get one or build one of those also.

But the fact remains ive tried a few of both encarnations and all once i got used to them were ok,

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

4. Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
    Wow,almost identicle to this one belowthat I was having a look at two nights ago?

http://www.jeffree.co.uk/pages/revmaster.htm

Is there not a way to knock one up without the use of a PIC? itmeans I have to buy a programmer or look for someone selling a chip prorammed using their design
    Of course there is, if you want a dumb design.... is there a way of using a word processor without a computer???

Location unknown. Last Activity: 08-02-2014 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 157. Received thanks 5 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    What makes you say that??
    I've looked at many DIY kits, I own a Velleman/Maplin programmer (http://www.velleman.eu/distributor/p...iew/?id=351982), we have a couple of old school Microchip PicStart programmers at work. What can I say about the PicKit2, and possibly 3?

They are small, they are neat, price is good, made by Microchip, supported by Microchip, supported by Microchip software, Microchip software supplied in the kit, have a large user base, work out the box, can program a PIC without a PC connection, they work when the target board is powered, they work when the target board is not powered (they supply the power from USB), they can be used with almost all PIC models and variations... The list goes on, they are a seriously hard act to follow.

heh, have a chat with Dave:
    http://www.eevblog.com/2009/10/21/ee...bugger-review/
    http://www.eevblog.com/2010/02/22/ee...-vs-atmel-avr/

6. Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    Hey george, I got one of these the other day, im very pleased with it and for what is costs Im amazed..
    fleabay item number:-250641581270

Rick
    On the subject of programmers the short answer is 'it all depends'

If you want to burn code that somebody else has developed then a simple one like this is fine....

If you want to write code for simple solutions that are not demanding and you can debug with simple tools - multimeter, logic probe, then its OK

If you want to do the job properly, debug on the fly, validate complex performance relationships, and not waste hours on goose chases then you need a proper in-circuit debugger/programmer.. for PICs I use the PicKit2 which was £30, thats less than £1 per project so far and I reckon its saved me that in time alone (even my own time has an opportunity cost value), plus I have had no issues with each update of the development environment (not true of many 3rd party options) and the range of PICs it works with is huge.

My first programmer was from matrix multimedia and i still use it, but i have used many since then, more from curiosity, i dont doubt that the PicKit2 is good in fact i know it is, the programmer/development board i put the link to is going to be completely embeded it will be programmed and tested, and entombed forever (hopefully) and this would seem to be fine, if as in this case someone such as yourself has worked out the circuit. It saves on fabricating a board. If you want to develop several projects over time then by all means a reputable and proven programmer/development board such as Pickit2 would be the way you would go, George was showing some aversion to to using pics and having to buy a programmer for a project, this is an inexpensive way to dip your toes in the water of microcontrolers and if its not for him he's lost pennys instead of pounds..

This board has through the hole plating and good clear screen printing and all the components you need apart from the pic itself, so is within reach of even the complete beginer.

Rick

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

Incidently, i posted the wrong link there.. lol fleabay item number:-250576566482

It would easily be usable for most small projects and for this price, well what more can i say..

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    Incidently, i posted the wrong link there.. lol fleabay item number:-250576566482

It would easily be usable for most small projects and for this price, well what more can i say..

Rick
    Certainly a lot more professional and easy to use than my 1st pic board :whistling:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16f874-Circuit3.gif 
Views:	510 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	2628

Quote Originally Posted by ecat View Post
    Certainly a lot more professional and easy to use than my 1st pic board :whistling:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16f874-Circuit3.gif 
Views:	510 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	2628
    This is cool, you had a concept and went off and completed it, and Hey if it worked what more could you ask??, I think i would have enjoyed making that as much as i enjoyed making some of mine, this is what irving does,without even realising it, he encourages you to get building, because he and others on this forum are here to help you out when you get stuck..

Rick

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information