. .
    Hi All...

Had a quick word with Lee as I thought he had posted this, apparently not!

I am (almost) sure I saw a post where someone had come up with an additional mount for the Kress, one that was positioned higher up the spindle.. Thought there was a picture and g code for it, but after lengthy searching, I cant find it on the forum.. Anyone seen it? Did I imagine it?

I bought a nice solid base mount for my Kress, which works fine, except when the motor is spun up to max (29k rpm) you can feel it vibrating and so a secondary mount should reduce this..

If I did imagine it, I will have a go at designing one..

Thanks
    Steve..

Lives in Devon, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 759. Received thanks 27 times, giving thanks to others 52 times.
    Not sure what you mean? How would it work if it was mounted higher up? or do you mean using the kress as a motor to drive a separate spindle?

If so It was probably Steve Hiltons DC spindle. (except it used a DC motor...) not sure you wil reduce the vibration either unles you also meant it be belt drive? If so then the belt will still transmit vibration and the best solution would be to gear down the Kress with a belt reduction to stil drive the spindle at high speed. The reduced power shouldnt be a problem as at these speeds i guess you are talking about small engraving cutters?

sorry If I've got the wrong end of the stick....

He means adding another mount further up the kress ie two securing mounts.

Personally i'd take a look at your bearings in the kress or wobble the chuck and see if there's an play in the shaft?

Hi Ross.. George is right.. Meant a second holder further up the spindle case.. George, the Kress is brand new, only had about 30 hours use and perhaps needs a little longer 'running in?'.. Never had one before.. It's very smooth (and surprisingly quiet) at any speed under top whack.. At full revs there is vibration which, as I can feel it quite strongly through my hand when holding the spindle, I am sure it will translate to the tool tip and affect the cut finish.. Not a problem at this time but was about to buy a 1mm dia tool, or even smaller, which will no doubt be affected.. Reckon I will need top speed for the tiny tools as surface speed will be low due to the small diameter of the cutting edge.. This is no big problem.. Just had it in my mind that I saw a post about it, Lee thinks he might have seen it too but neither of us can find it.. Was thinking of making one with about 5mm of cork around the gripping area to dampen the vibration.. Am at the stage of wrestling with all the fine tuning now and am making a list as I go along.. Still trying to get my head around cv vs exact stop in mach 3 at the moment which is a greater problem... But I reckon all these little tweaks help, even if each tweak is only a 0.5% improvement, they all stack up.. Steve...

Take it back then if its new,FT...new doesn't mean its been passed by the quality control,I've known Makita stuff from new to be of terrible peformance.

It shouldn't vibrate at high speed...not a kress anyway.

Hi George..

Bugga... Bought it from Germany.. Will mean a week or two without a spindle...

Steve..

One of the pitfalls of buying abroad :-( email Kressand see what they have to say? I'm only going by me using one,I don't own one but the one I used at the time was vibration free at the highest speed and unbelievable at the lowest.

Thread Information