. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hi

Last time I was designing like this . I attack this to computer before start computer. After start I write codes and run only 3 steps. I find that IC and motor are going very much hot, then I disconnect all connections to IC. It really was near to be burnt, if I do not disconnect. What was the problem in circuit? I think it may be in its ground or +12V wire. Is it?

So you driving pairs of coils, one forwards, the other backwards or both off? Curious configuration. Where's Irving? He explains these things much better than I do.

The individual darlingtons can sink half an Amp. You could double them up to get 1 Amp but the duty cycle won't be anything to write home about unless you have big coil impedance.
    Last edited by Robin Hewitt; 08-07-2010 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Got me 'wards muddled up

3. oh dear... there are three problems, but not in the circuit as such...

1/ you are probably using the wrong sort of motor... this type of circuit only works with very small motors rated to work on 12v, not high power steppers of the sort you'd use on a CNC machine

2/ Not reading/understanding datasheet and the limitations of this chip

3/ the basic lack of current limiting in a unipolar design (which I suppose is a circuit problem but is related to problem 1)

what motor are you using? what is the DC resistance of each coil? and how are you trying to drive it (one phase at a time, or overlapping phases?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ULN2003_datasheet.pdf  

I have found the reason not the solution, it is that I am using the computer power supply. The +12V point has 6 Amp, as written on info sticker of computer power supply. But ULN2003 require only 0.5 Amp, that’s why my whole system was getting so much hot. But how to arrange the correct power supply (12V & 0.5 Amp). Which is cheep & easy source?

5. Yes, you have found the reason, but the solution isn't a 0.5A power supply, unless you plan only to energise one coil at a time which is not efficient and means only full-step operation.

The correct solution to this is to use current limiting in the feed to each pair of coils. Your current limiter can be a big power resistor or an active limiter using a voltage regulator device. I've shown you how to do both approaches in the attached diagrams. Do the calculations for yourself. Which you choose to use will depend on whats available to you. Don't think you can get away with just a lower current power supply - at best it wont work reliably, at worst you will still end up frying your devices and motors...

The resistors in the first diagram are 18ohm 10W - they will get HOT, about 80degC surface temp so be careful - but they are designed to get hot assuming you use a proper power resistor. You can mount them on a heatsink to cool them if you desire.

In the second diagram the resistor are 2.4ohm 1W. The second option requires a heatsink for the LM317T devices of about 16degC/W, which can be done with a push-on heatsink or a piece of aluminium plate about 50mm x 50mm x 3mm thick (one each device).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UnipolarStepper1.gif 
Views:	824 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	2426   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UnipolarStepper2.gif 
Views:	952 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	2427  

I find some thing written on my motor. That is:
    60C 45
    5 DEG 13 (ohm) MAS
    You can also read more about this motor from http://www.compucanjes.com/products/view/14268.html. what is basic formula to set at any system.

7. well thats a 24v 13ohm motor... on 12v it will require 1A/phase, which is twice what the ULN2003 is rated for. Basically you need to learn a lot more about how to calculate electrical and thermal parameters correctly else you are going to waste a lot of money on burnt out parts.

Using power transistors like TIP120 is also batter. But would you like to suggest me a good professional design of stepper deriver of medium level? You may suggest more than one.

9. well I wouldnt start with that motor... but I cannot recommend anything as it depends on what you want to do with the motor, what your budget is, and, given you are in Pakistan, what possibility you have to buy it.

I would like to know some batter & professional driver IC or schematic design to work in CNC machine. For example TIP120 design can handle 5 to 6 amp, it is good to run some big motors but I am not assure whether it is more professional or just for experiment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information