. .
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddie View Post
    It will be better to use a thixotropic or fairly viscous variant than the west system stuff which is designed to wet out composites and is a pretty thin liquid.... It'll be at least a couple of months before I get to that stage so I'm looking forward to reading how you get on
    Something like gelcoat then?

Just been to the local fasteners shop so now I can get these rails fixed down. I'm going to just try it without epoxy first and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Something like gelcoat then?
    Gelcoat is usually polyester and relatively weak, I was thinking of one of the thixotropic epoxys like the 2015 you originally mentioned - the west system stuff is very good but rather thin for this application.

Location unknown. Last Activity: 08-02-2014 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 157. Received thanks 5 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    West system + filler perhaps to thicken? Aluminium powder, micro-fibre, micro rubber balls?

If I have this right, one advantage of the filler is that it should create multiple impedance boundaries hence reducing the transfer of some of the vibrations.

My initial idea was to cast one or maybe two full faces on the ali profile as a way of creating a reference plane to aid alignment. I've never done this before but working without a reference plane sounds like a bad idea (?)

In my case bolting the rails directly to the 80x80 box section seems to have worked.
    The is a slight amount of binding at one end but I think I can attribute that to the way I've fixed the box section to the gantry. The box section is currently only bolted at the vertical sides which has squashed it very slightly causing the top and bottom to bow, pushing the rails apart. I think If I put some more bolts in it'll be fine.

Location unknown. Last Activity: 08-02-2014 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 157. Received thanks 5 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Nice one Jonathan :)

Got to admit I've become totally OCD about mounting rail, currently investigating using a separate plate and possibly brass threaded inserts to go along with the epoxy, even Mic-6 has almost .4mm variation in flatness :cry: . I'll get there, one day :whistling:

Hmm, it would be interesting to know what variation in parallelness these bearings can actually tolerate. I guess it would be dificult to get a precise number since it will depend on what they're mounted on squashing.

Sure you want to know?

I don't have any info on the round rail or Hiwin HG profile rail but here is the dirt on their older LG rail, see page 29

http://www.automation4less.com/pdfs/hiwinaglg.pdf

anyone thinking of using valuframe... they cant get thair hands on any of the the 40mm x 200mm profile and they will only deliver to a busness... Gutted, time for a re-work

I found a German site that had what appeared to be the ValuFrame range, connectors, everything. The site looked a bit up market, mentioned Aerospace ( = add another 0), but mentioned a UK office. I'll look out the link when I get home.

Link...
    http://www.wmh.de/index.php?id=64&L=1

Click Machine Construction, doesn't look like they do 40x200 either, you never know until you ask...

England:

Dagmar Rathbone
    UK Sales Manager
    WMH UK Ltd
    Minerva Mill Innovation Centre
    Station Road
    Alcester
    Warks
    B49 5ET
    Tel: 0044 1789761365
    Mobile: 0044 7970749393
    Fax: 0044 1789400447
    eMail: Dagmar.Rathbone(at)wmh.de

Could always use 40x160 + 20x40mm solid top and bottom?
    Also, when talking to suppliers the word 'protype' sometimes works wonders ;-)
    Last edited by ecat; 17-09-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information