Thread: Which Software

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #21
    LOL dont you ever sleep???
    I had a few hours on the couch before I posted that,she left sleeping there instead of giving me a thump for bed...maybe she had an headache :rofl::naughty:

    No ones mentioned Google sketchup,have not triedit but I'm sure it'll work? and does export/import DXF files?

    http://sketchup.google.com/

  2. #22
    Im surprised there are not more opinions on this subject, Maybe i have asked the wrong questions???
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    Im surprised there are not more opinions on this subject, Maybe i have asked the wrong questions???
    We all have opinions :whistling:

    I tried several packages, it's a sort of quest. None of them would let me do what I wanted the way I wanted it, so eventually I gave up and wrote my own :naughty:

    Now whenever I get stuck for a feature or hit a bug I have the source code so I am no longer helpless

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    so eventually I gave up and wrote my own :naughty:

    :surprised:
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

  5. #25
    I suspect people use the same bits of s/ware, hence not a big list. From your parts cut wish list, I would say that Aspire is more than you need. To summarise some options:

    For CAD here are some suggestions:
    BobCAD (also has some CAM)
    RhinoCAD
    AutoCAD, AutoCAD LT etc.
    Solidworks

    For toolpath creation and Gcode creation here are some 2D options:
    Cut2D (also has some CAD creation)
    Sheetcam (never used)
    Cambam (also has some CAD creation)
    [You may have found Lazycam - wouldn't bother with this]

    and 3D toolpath and gcode options (sounds like you will be OK with just 2D, which is cheaper):
    Cut3D
    VCarve

    For postprocessing and cutting out your work:
    Mach3 (PC)
    EMC2 (Linux)

    I use AutoCAD2000, VectricCUT2D, and Mach3 for my workflow and it does all my 2D work with ease. Hope this gives you something to investigate further.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    Im surprised there are not more opinions on this subject, Maybe i have asked the wrong questions???
    Ok I'll try to be more helpful but other than fork yokes you haven't told us anything and fork yokes can be done on any of the cheaper CAM programs.

    In no order and you will have to do the homework on Google for links.

    Vectric Cut2D
    Sheetcam
    Cambam
    Dolphin
    Sharpcam

    All these cost.

    One free way with a bit of furkling about is to download the demo of Flashcut, this is a program similar to Mach in that it's a controller and requires a 1,000 signal box to work however the CAM side is not restricted as you need the box.

    So load your DXF into Flashcut, answer all the boxes, tool, feeds, speeds etc and it will generate the code but won't cut it because there is no box.

    Sooooooo, do a copy paste into Mach and you are away.

    .
    John S -

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Ok I'll try to be more helpful but other than fork yokes you haven't told us anything and fork yokes can be done on any of the cheaper CAM programs..
    Fork yokes was just an example, Do I have to learn CAD before i can progress? Bit like the chicken and egg question as I dont know what the machine is capable of, Im not sure what I will be doing, but if i have to wittle it down to its most basic i would have to just say 3D aluminium I suppose.
    All i would like to know really is where would a beginner begin? i have looked at many of the programs suggested, I do keep returning to the aspire page because looking the tutorial videos I can see that this software is within my capabilities, Cut3d and Vcarve do look very capable. Im not too worried about buying software, but suggestions like Autocad and solidworks would not be helpfull... I am happy to hear peoples experiences with the more sensibly priced software with a lesser learning curve and maybe this will help me make the decision on what to spend my dollar on..

    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    In no order and you will have to do the homework on Google for links.

    Vectric Cut2D
    Sheetcam
    Cambam
    Dolphin
    Sharpcam

    All these cost.

    One free way with a bit of furkling about is to download the demo of Flashcut, this is a program similar to Mach in that it's a controller and requires a 1,000 signal box to work however the CAM side is not restricted as you need the box.

    So load your DXF into Flashcut, answer all the boxes, tool, feeds, speeds etc and it will generate the code but won't cut it because there is no box.

    Sooooooo, do a copy paste into Mach and you are away.

    .

    From what i understand I use a CAD program to produce a model...or DXF file
    I then use a CAM program and the DXF file to prepeare and convert the DXF file to G-Code
    I then use Mach to interpret the G-Code into movements that produce the part on my machine.

    Other than that there are the multi use programs CAD/CAM sort of stuff..

    My knowlege is basic as i said...
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    All i would like to know really is where would a beginner begin?
    I think you should try making a few bits with the free version of Cambam - I've done quite a lot with it and it seems good / user friendly.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardoco View Post
    From what i understand I use a CAD program to produce a model...or DXF file
    I then use a CAM program and the DXF file to prepeare and convert the DXF file to G-Code
    I then use Mach to interpret the G-Code into movements that produce the part on my machine.
    Yes, nicely summarised.

  9. #29
    Hi Folks
    New to machining, new to CNC, new to CAD/CAM software, jeez even new to forums! Is this called thread reviving? :confused: Anyway...

    I want to make parts like this (http://tinyurl.com/333qub7) out of Aluminium and I am trying to learn as much as I can. Based on research, I THINK I'm gonna go with Vectric 2D and Mach3 (trying demo version of former, no where near trying the latter because...) My big question is...

    Any tips on what machine to go for?? Info as follows... The link above (clickable links in Google docs of jpegs + a DXF of a part I made in Scketchup) will show you a sample of the kind of part I want to make. These will be non engineering type parts, i.e. ultra precision NOT needed, tolerance +/- 0.1 mm or so (?) and the sample above is likely the biggest single piece I'd need to machine.

    Might sound naive but I really want to try and get set up with as 'plug and play' a system as I can get.... Machines I've read about so far are Marchant and Dice and the entry machine from the folks at CNC-Step.

    ANY guidance, advice, tips REALLY REALLY appreciated!!

    Thanks in advance and GREAT site! :clap:

    Oh! budget for machine up to 2k A LOT of dosh for me so SCARY!

    Rob :o)

  10. #30
    I can't see any files.

    Phil

    Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. software
    By rainboweyes in forum Computer Software
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 11:59 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-12-2012, 12:58 PM
  3. New Software
    By luke11cnc in forum CAD & CAM Software
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14-09-2011, 06:00 PM
  4. What software can do this ?
    By Kammo1 in forum Computer Software
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 07:57 PM
  5. What software ??
    By Kammo1 in forum Computer Software
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 01:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •