. .

Thread: Which Software

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    I can't see any files.

Phil

Hiya, the tinyurl works ok of for me here's the long version!

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B5Q...NTBjY2Yz&hl=en

Thanks!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by robmurf View Post
    Hi Folks
    New to machining, new to CNC, new to CAD/CAM software, jeez even new to forums! Is this called thread reviving? :confused: Anyway..

Oh! budget for machine up to 2k A LOT of dosh for me so SCARY!

Rob :o)
    Rob,

Based on what you say I'd say forget it.

The MD machine is a router type machine which is classed as engraving, light milling (sheet)

You need a mill RTR way over your budget before you even think of buying software.

Then there is the learning curve, it can be years.

If you want that part made get a quote.

But if you just want to just learn the wonderful art of engineering then go for it.

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Hiya M250

I thought one of these small machines could do milling work vs. just engraving, in ally IF you were in no hurry! I.e. cut it fairly slowly? Thought too it was the type of kit RC model makers would use etc for making small bits out of aluminium.

Vectric c2D is about £175 and Mach3 the same? Didn't seem too bad...

Anyway, thanks for taking time to reply, much appreciated!

:o)

Rob,

This is where your inexperience shows (But Good You Are Asking Questions), those router type machines use high speed spindles.

You need drilling on your part its very difficult to do drilling as you run out of Z axis clearance not to mention drilling at 8K rpm min

To take on bigger cuts in any material the machine must be built stronger than the material you are cutting and in IMHO those machines are too flimsy.

I have two mills one a manual Bridgeport that weighs about a ton and a benchtop that weighs 1/5 of a ton

Check out how much those router machines weigh, although you may get the job done the finish will be poor.

Just giving the facts so don't shoot the messenger.

Phil

Hi Phil
    Thanks again for the feedback and very sorry, no shooting of messenger type attitude was intended!!

I understand need for solidness in the machining platform but again I thought these machines could go a bit beyond engraving and could even do finishing type cuts. This fella here seems to be using the entry level machine to mill ally pretty well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbwug...eature=related

If he's be believed, it's a High-Z S-400, not even their 'T' model which is faster. Of course he has a pretty nice ELTE spindle on there vs. the router which is a fairly serious upgrade I guess and pretty expensive too boot, I guess?

Rob :o)

Rob,

No offence taken, but and its a big but that machine is double your budget adding in the software and it only has a low duty spindle

And its only taking shallow cuts, as soon as you start increasing the thickness of cut the problems will show up.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    Rob,

No offence taken, but and its a big but that machine is double your budget adding in the software and it only has a low duty spindle

And its only taking shallow cuts, as soon as you start increasing the thickness of cut the problems will show up.

Phil
    im kind of hoping your not entirly right phil, iv spent about 2k and although i dont intend to cut to much alli im hoping it will if i need it to
    im thinking small cuts will be fine.... thats the beauty of cnc (if its running well) press go have a cup of tea watch some telly scratch your arse and swagger back into the shed with a de-burring tool to a nice shiney finished part

Quote Originally Posted by blackburn mark View Post
    im kind of hoping your not entirly right phil, iv spent about 2k
    Hiya Mark
    Can I ask what you spent your 2k to get CNC's up?

hi rob..... errrrrr i might be lieing a bit..... we'll find out (ish)
    25mm thk slides for the X and Y 20mm thk Z £250 ish
    1605 ballscrews £300 ish
    heavy extrusion £500 ish
    20mm alli plate £400 ish
    5 axis chinese stepper kit+power supply £260 ish
    ball nut housings £150
    so far thats £1860
    im pretty sure iv spent at least £100 building 3 spindles including buying the speed controller
    theres easy another £100 on odds and sods like timing pullies micro switches cable
    i could be looking at £2100/£2200
    it might be more though,,,,, stuff has a way of sneaking under the raydar :)
    have a read of "fingers crossed it'll cut ally" you might spot somthing in there that iv missed

its quite an exspensive one for a first build but im pretty sure i wont need to build it again and its a lot cheaper than buying one off the shelf

Yeah it's scary when you add stuff up, best not to do it huh! Good luck with it fella! My only option is an off the shelf machine as building one would take me 47 years and would make my brain explode...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information