. .

Thread: Which Software

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hi all, well as some of you may know, Ive got the machine (well almost:naughty:), Ive got mach3, now comes the interesting bit,, What other software will i need to bring this machine to life making things and make life easier, im not talking thousands of pounds, but im not talking pennies either, im totaly noob at the other software :whistling:so please give explanations as to why you think your choice of software is best given any restrictions, remembering i dont want to go back to college but im not stupid either,But Im prepared to start simple, Ok lets see whats on offer and why:question:

Rick
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other - Abe Lincoln

CamBam - easy to use but quite powerful.
    Good built in drawing editor but will import DXF.
    Great machining support with hierarchical styles so you don't have to reinvent the wheel all the time
    Good support forum.
    Reasonable price
    Free trial
    www.cambam.co.uk - look on the forum under announcements for the latest version
    Still in beta but don't let that put you off - it's ready for use just evolving a bit.

You have already got the donkey work program,Rick...the other software is just the modeller I think?

I've got MastercamX and it doesn't take me long to get my head round a program but this one is proving a long haul to fully understand it,I suppose all software of a CAD nature is the same.

I like its layout and it can export DXF files wich Mach3 needs....can't really recommend any others as I don'thave em. :lol:

What do you want to make?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
    You have already got the donkey work program,Rick...the other software is just the modeller I think?

I've got MastercamX and it doesn't take me long to get my head round a program but this one is proving a long haul to fully understand it,I suppose all software of a CAD nature is the same.

I like its layout and it can export DXF files wich Mach3 needs....can't really recommend any others as I don'thave em. :lol:
    You are bitching over a £3.75 billet of alloy, no machine yet but you have an £8,000 CAM program ?

John S -

If you are thinking 2D stuff, then I can recommend Vectric Cut2D, ~£117. It's more visual than CAMBAM, and I prefer it although CAMBAM is also good. Also has a good forum and support. Vectric will take your DXF file from a CAD program and create toolpaths and then Gcode. It also has some basic CAD functions. Free demo which allows you to cut out some examples on your machine to make sure it all works.

http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectr.../c2d_index.htm
    http://www.vectric.com/forum/

George, I'm sure you didn't mean it like that but to clarify I don't think Mach3 will take DXF files directly, needs toolpath and Gcode creation in between.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

:lol::lol:

NoJohn,I'm bitching over a company trying to rip joe bloggs off...how can they say a 2 mtr length of box section is an offcut? pmsl.

You're on the ball tonight,RCNC...yes you're right,my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
    :lol::lol:

NoJohn,I'm bitching over a company trying to rip joe bloggs off...how can they say a 2 mtr length of box section is an offcut? pmsl.
    If the mill length is 7 metres then a 2 metre length is an off cut. I just bought 2.3 metres of 90mm black round as an offcut as I can't handle a 7 metre length of it as regards weight and getting it on the saw.

John S -

Let's steer this back to Ricardoco's question. Any more software ideas for CAD and toolpath/Gcode?

Ricardoco, as Robin has mentioned if you post what you want to make then the answers will be tailored to your requirements. 2D, 3D, sheet metal, etc.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information