. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Here are a few screen shots of a screen set I designed for controlling a hot wire foam cutter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foam_1.jpg 
Views:	15282 
Size:	327.4 KB 
ID:	2869

Name:	Foam_Setup.jpg 
Views:	12499 
Size:	313.3 KB 
ID:	2870

Here is the screen set if anyone is interested.
    http://odysseywood.us/profili/CNC%20Foam.zip

Sam

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sharbold For This Useful Post:

Hi Sam

Not too familiar with the tower foam cutters,but I would have thought that with them being identical towers and each one supports/carrys and guides the hotwire through its paces but at identicl co-ords therefore all axises motors wired in parralell with each other on the three independant axis.

I see in your screen layout that one axis is out of sync is that the way it should be?

I'm thinking if one axis lags behind this would cause a problem?

Location unknown. Last Activity: 08-02-2014 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 157. Received thanks 5 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Looks like a sweet front end :)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
    Hi Sam
    I see in your screen layout that one axis is out of sync is that the way it should be?
    Different X and Ys, left and right, allows for the cutting of more complex profiles.

Not all wings are parallel chord, the wing could be tapered or have washout

Hi Sharbold,
    Great work there, looking really good. I've not used Profili2, but heard alot of good things about it. Will it generate Gcode to drive mach3 as suggested in the title area?
    Hope rckeith is reading this, perfect for the foam cutter he is building!

Hi Vic66,
    Good point about tapered wings, but can the wire manage washout? Not having used foam cutters I'm trying to picture in my head how the wire would move to do that - being pulled taut limits the possibilities I think, unless you overcut into the waste using multiple passes?
    For those that don't know washout is a deliberate twist (to a lower angle of attack) as the wing goes from the root (near fuselage) to the tip. This helps reduce tip stall at lower speeds on tapered wings, for a compromise at high speeds.
    Last edited by routercnc; 26-08-2010 at 12:40 PM.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Not used a cnc foam cutter either, just templates and bow, I have been slowly collecting parts for one though. I would imagine you could achieve washout with multiple passes with a bit of thought, although I havent gone through that process, you could make the wing half in multiple pieces as well, my comment was in response to George's question about the axis's not being parallel but myself and ecat must have replied at about the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    For those that don't know washout is a deliberate twist...tapered wings
    Sounds like a wind turbine blade to me! I did consider using this method to make blades, just covering the foam in fiberglass. I was just going to carve the foam by hand though as I didn't think a CNC hot wire cutter would be up to it.

Yes Profili Pro will output Gcode that will run in Mach3. If fact the screen shot was taken while running Gcode produced from Profili Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Hi Sharbold,
    Great work there, looking really good. I've not used Profili2, but heard alot of good things about it. Will it generate Gcode to drive mach3 as suggested in the title area?
    Hope rckeith is reading this, perfect for the foam cutter he is building!

As for washout in profili you can input the amount of washout and profili will adjust the tip of the wing to add the washout.

Hi Vic66,
    Good point about tapered wings, but can the wire manage washout? Not having used foam cutters I'm trying to picture in my head how the wire would move to do that - being pulled taut limits the possibilities I think, unless you overcut into the waste using multiple passes?
    For those that don't know washout is a deliberate twist (to a lower angle of attack) as the wing goes from the root (near fuselage) to the tip. This helps reduce tip stall at lower speeds on tapered wings, for a compromise at high speeds.
    Last edited by sharbold; 27-08-2010 at 12:39 AM.

10. Could you give a few hints on how to configure the heat control? does it use the spindle control in mach3 and if so pwm or step dir interface? I have a rduino basedhot wire controller interfaced to the system and I've got a step /dir interface for it and pwm..just a few hints would be handy..thank you

Quote Originally Posted by sharbold View Post
    Here are a few screen shots of a screen set I designed for controlling a hot wire foam cutter.

Name:	Foam_1.jpg 
Views:	15282 
Size:	327.4 KB 
ID:	2869

Name:	Foam_Setup.jpg 
Views:	12499 
Size:	313.3 KB 
ID:	2870

Here is the screen set if anyone is interested.
    http://odysseywood.us/profili/CNC%20Foam.zip

Sam

Sam
    1) Where can I find the latest version of this great screen set ?

2) how do I move both towers a fixed distance without writing G-code ?
    With the standard screen set you can set a 'step' jog distance. (which i use all the time with my CNC router) Going to the setting page and clicking 'step' does not change anything and the green 'led' does not come on

Thanks.
    -Doron.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information