I worked for MCP for 13 year, and left about 2 months ago.
They are just down the road from me.
I do buy our stepper drivers from MCP, and MCP buy our mechanical products like ball screws, linear bearings and rails.
As for what stepper motor, well i would look at the SY85STH65 or the SY85STH118, these will work very well with the MSD980.
The current motor is only about 1.8Nm holding torque so any of these motors will be higher power.

Quote Originally Posted by bobin View Post
thanks for the motor data....visited your site zapautomation are you part of motion control?...dont think we will use these old motors..too uncertain with new driver boards...what motors do you have that is best to run with these drivers..will be pushing a small cnc lathe (orac)......servo stuff is now looking very atractive from your place(bought a 4 axis ,motors the works from lowcost retrofit from australia)a few months ago that wasnt low cost we wanted it for a [/color]big bridgeport mill(mdi) its working very good
sytem with extra motors doubles onto a cnc lathe..but we are trying stepper systems to see how they compare performance wise...also got one medium mill running with 3 axis routout boards and mack3..keeps dropping steps it realy needs closed loop control(we just love retrofiting lathes and mills)........bobin