. .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Jonathan, i've just run throught all the direction pin settings with no change.

That doesn't sound good. I take it none of the other axis' moved when you were trying different pins?
    Sounds like it might be a problem with the driver board itself but I don't think that that's that likely. [too many that's in that sentance!]

whats do you think the problem could be? the board, then you say it couldnt be? im confused?

so far ive got 1 cable working on 1 axis in 1 direction.

i then changed the cable to test each motor, they worked again in 1 direction no matter which direction you pressed the only went 1 way.

one thing i noticed is the x axis (long axis in this case) was forcing the z axis to raise and lower as it moved, only by mm but noticable. wave like motion, what could this be.

i'm trying to establish if ive been sold a dud? does anyone know what rights i have to complain?

ive spent 2 hrs speaking with the guy who sold me the machine prior to actually getting 1 motor working, with him saying try this and try that.

again, thanks for all comments/suggestions.

Don't give up hope just yet. Can I just check that you are setting both the 'step pin' and 'direction pin', and the 'step port' and 'direction port'. I think the port ones are probably '0' by default, and should all be set to '1'.

Could you post a screenshot of your Mach3 menus:
    Ports and pins > Port setup and configuration
    Ports and pins > Motor outputs

Also, in Config > motor tuning, what are your 'steps per' , 'velocity' , 'acceleration', 'step pulse' and 'direction pulse' values for each axis?
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

RouterCNC I will take screen shots as currently working and post these later.

Yes, I think the ports are set to 1 for direction, basically following advise from all corners and 1 motor/pin setting is working but only in one direction.

I'm sure is something simple but im now worried about the movement up and down when I tested the x axis motor. At least all the motors are working.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled2.png 
Views:	238 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	2957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled4.png 
Views:	221 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	2956Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled6.png 
Views:	239 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	2955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled5.png 
Views:	240 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	2954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled1.png 
Views:	226 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	2953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled3.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	2952A selection of screen shots as current. Comments welcomed. Note that the Y axis is working but in 1 direction only.

Firstly I'd try putting the kernel speed down to 25Khz. I doubt that's causing a problem at the moment, but it may do later on. Do you really need it at 35Khz for the feedrate you anticipate?

Here's the manual for the 4 axis board...

http://www.savebase.com/infobase/dow...xis_Driver.doc

If you trust the settings shown there, then yes I see no problem with how you've set it.

The only thing I can think of doing now is to trace the pins on the PCB. i.e. look at each pin on the parallel port connector on the PCB and see where it connects. You should be able to verify the step/dir settings quite easily doing this. I once did it for an unknown stepper driver board....

8. are you 100% sure the parallel cable is ok? can you buzz it out and confirm its wired 1:1?

As Jonathan says the configuration looks basically ok, but can you bring up the motor tuning page for each axis and take a screen shot.

Another thing to try is swap X and Y axis.... so make X-step, X-dir 14 & 7 respectively... then try jogging X... which should cause Y to step. Incidentally I was led to believe that you must stop and restart MACH3 after making each change so that it saves and rereads the new configuration (I read this somewhere).

What test equipment (multimeter?) do you have at your disposal?

Morning all,

I have a multi meter to hand and guidance on what i need test and how to test it would be apprecaited.

With regards the cable, there are 2, one connected to the PCB then one connected to that, an extension cable. This is due to the configuration of the box. I can try connecting direct without the extension.

How would I testClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00462-20100906-2332.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	2960 the cable as being 1:1, I purchased the one suggested by a member here however the one in the box was already there (found it when I opened up)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00466-20100907-1016.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	2959

Have you tried the original cable ?
    John S -

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information