. .

Thread: DIY mill...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    I know nothing about these things, but my gut tells me that if you put this in a pillar drill the taper would let go before you could say, "Bugger".

Plenty of time afterwards though :naughty:

2. I only meant using the pillar stand arrangement, I have a high speed saw spindle with a hole thro one end, a tailour made arbour would be the way. . Yer it is difficult, if you were armour plated or had 1/2 of perspex between you and the work it would be hard to get anything done. I had an abrasive cut-off saw once it scared me so much I gave it away. Angle grinders are very useful but can be as dangerous. I regularly use one for cutting sheet metal, does not crimp the metal like snips. A lot of this stuff is a long way of I have not made the stand yet !!
    I am enjoying machining this cast iron in the lathe and making large cuts with old faithful I would send you some if you don;nt mind the postage. :lol:

Cheers Keith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hsaw.JPG 
Views:	359 
Size:	683.9 KB 
ID:	4312  

3. Just had the column for my mill turned on a proper lathe mine only traverses the length of the compound slide so no way I could do something this length. The guy did a really good job and also trued the ends up. Next stage is to weld on a wheel flange from those old trailer parts. This will be bolted to the cast iron slab from the night storage heater(with appropiate shims fitted). You know how it is lazyness may set in at any stage. Hows your mill coming on????

Cheers Keith Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colomn.JPG 
Views:	414 
Size:	614.9 KB 
ID:	6211

4. Hello All
    I have abandoned the idea of making a vertical mill in favour of a Gingery imitation. I looked at various designs including the Westbury and decided driving a moving vertical spindle was too much of a problem.
    The Gingery mill is based on the old Lincoln design using flat belts much easier to accomodate spindle movement.
    The bits use angle iron bolted together (tack weld when adjusted). I cheated by buying an X-Y table.
    Spindle is from a washing machine drum and I will be useing my motor controller to avoid multiple pulleys. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ginmill2.JPG 
Views:	441 
Size:	804.2 KB 
ID:	10490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ginmill.JPG 
Views:	432 
Size:	893.3 KB 
ID:	10491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lathemill.JPG 
Views:	494 
Size:	876.8 KB 
ID:	10492

5. Sorry for my last post having pics all over the place I am an engineer not a computer operator. Any way my mill is progressing. I have to ensure the vertical slide stays at right angles to the bed. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vertslide.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	10519

For this I have made a triangle spar here it is colling down in the vice do not want to get burned fingers !!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triangle.JPG 
Views:	371 
Size:	975.3 KB 
ID:	10520

6. Sorry Lee , Robin and Irvin
    You started this thread and the mill that I am making is not CNC at least at the moment. I have no access to machining capabilty except an old lathe which drastically needs new bearings. As I have allready said I considered the Westberry vertical mill design but here were several reports of chattering on the sliding column. Here is a better pic of my design inspired by the Stepperhead, Gingery, Multimachine designes.

Name:	overarm.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	10543

Name:	lathemill.JPG 
Views:	365 
Size:	876.8 KB 
ID:	10544

Many thanks fer birthday wishes cheers Keith

7. Ha! Words of wisdom amen23! I built an aluminum extrusion machine and it works really well on plywood and acrylic and could certainly do some engraving, but I've started down the path to milling 6061 aluminum and I can do it, but not well. So, I thought, heck I'll just do some stiffening here and there and... flush... $$$... swirl... Anyway, I'm contemplating how to upgrade or keep this machine for wood and build another much smaller X/Y table type out of steel for milling. I can't really decide the way to go and my budget is very limited. Or maybe I sacrifice cutting area and use the parts from the existing machine to make the mill. Hmmmmfffff! Anyway, I'd love some input from y'all who have been down this path. I love CNC and making stuff, but I'm growing a bit weary of making stuff for my CNC.
    If any of you would care to see my video saga on youtube, please take a peek and offer all the jabs and sneers you can muster. I can take it!
    https://youtu.be/2QTZa2Ge9A0
    Cheers!

8. Yeah, early on I bought some end mills and chucked them up in my drill press and... no.

9. Hi Wiremonkey
    Sorry for not repying for so long, I have loaded up win7 and had lost my log in.
    Its some time since I built the Gingery mill clone. Its all steel and uses the slide is off the lathe(capston) as vertical slide. I actually got the xy automated by using wiper motors and an optical system on the motor shaft. I was able to do this using CNC pro which has a stop feature. The prog is stopped until the step is successful.Most of the running gear is off washing machine parts. I boxed a drum bearing for the head and use all the pulleys and motor. I actually sell the motor controller for these universal brushed motors. These motors are ideal being around 1HP and variable speed from 200 to 12000 RPM. At present I am working on making the PCB,s for my speed controllers surface mount, I have a cheap cnc router table which is used with Inkscape and Zeus to mill out the pcb. I think the old cnc progs had many advantages eg with zeus you can stop at any point and trim the position of the tool, half way to conversational cnc.

Not idle Ha Ha Keith

10. The Following User Says Thank You to keith77777 For This Useful Post:

11. I just discovered Taig today. I've got my eyes on the 2018CR-ER, which is CNC read, just attach steppers, your controller and you're off, with a full blown mill ready to tackle mild steel even. I'm saving my coppers. I am not affiliated with Taig, but like their style!
    http://www.taigtools.com/mmill.html
    --------------
    Check out my DIY CNC trials and tribulation videos on YouTube: https://youtu.be/SwHb75_GWwM

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information