. .

Thread: DIY mill...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    sorry I know but BUMP!

I had to post, just wanted to help some of you were looking for strong lightweight cutting head motors.

Large outrunner motors designed to replace IC. engines in large scale RC aircraft have excellent Power to Weight ratio for examples head to the link provided.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...t=&LiPoConfig=

This is my first post hope to be the first of many is there anyone in northants with one built already that would be able to share some machine time.
    Thanks to all, Gavin.

2. Hi Gavin
    Yes these motors must have some chuff, I use front loading washing machine motors for machine tools. You can get constant speed from 500---12000RPM. www.calenterprises.co.uk/speed.html I am planning a mill come surface grinder using 60mm pipe for the column, a heavy cast iron block for the table and other bits made from machined cast iron held together with metric screws. Will post some pics when I can be bothered. I only need to flatten stuff out and cut the occasional slot.

Best regards Keith

3. Quote Originally Posted by keith77777 View Post
    Hi Gavin
    I use front loading washing machine motors for machine tools. You can get constant speed from 500---12000RPM. www.calenterprises.co.uk/speed.html
    Best regards Keith
    Hi Keith
    Do you have experience with those motors??? Any good? I plan to replace my CNC Mill induction motor with washing machine one + controller. Spindle speed variation it is something my CNC machine does need :)
    Regards

4. Quote Originally Posted by wiatroda View Post
    Hi Keith
    Do you have experience with those motors??? Any good? I plan to replace my CNC Mill induction motor with washing machine one + controller. Spindle speed variation it is something my CNC machine does need :)
    Regards
    Hi Gavin
    The motors are really good, not enclosed but you can soon make a tinplate caseing. One thing you and I will have to watch when using it for a mill will be the flat belt which normally runs vertically on the washer. I sold a controller to a guy who was fed up of snapping belts on a pillar drill. He put a V belt pulley on the motor shaft. The 12000 RPM is a bit overkill so more pulleys may be necessary but some mills have gearing and use 3000 RPM induction motors. I used the original washing machine pulleys on my lathe.
    I am looking forward to strapping this ironwork together and getting a mill/grinder going.

Cheers Keith

5. THUMPING NOT PUMPING IRON !!

Here is a picy of the base of my mill/grinder its a cast iron night storage heater block. Unfortunately its covered with what I find is called cementite. Aptly named, its as hard as diamond and sticks like s--t to a blanket. The only way of getting it off is with a bricky's hammer. If not removed is distroys hacksaw blades and lathe tools. This bit will be used intact but I am using this material for column clamps etc, so there is a fair bit of machining.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	swating.JPG 
Views:	327 
Size:	665.5 KB 
ID:	4275  

6. THE SMART WAY OF THUMPING IRON

Using one of these babies is a lot easier than a hammer especially in confined places. £16 from Aldi it pays to keep an eye on this store. Mind it uses lots of compressed air. The mill grinder I am building is based on
    www.neme-s.org/Model_Engineer_Files/swing_grinder.pdf
    Its supposed to be able to grind its own table.

Name:	STKI0003.JPG 
Views:	372 
Size:	659.5 KB 
ID:	4285  

7. Having gotten the base plate cleaned I must turn my attention to taking the flange which is to be welded to the base of the column (6cm pipe) the indispension unit has to be taken to bits. This wheel flange will then bolt the column to the base plate and can be shimmed etc for squareness. Oh I almost forgot the column has to be turned to be uniform in a better lathe than mine before welding. There is a lot to do.

Name:	hub.JPG 
Views:	289 
Size:	975.7 KB 
ID:	4291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pillar.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	1,000.2 KB 
ID:	4292  

8. It's a concrete lampshade !!

My latest acquirsition from the Cumbria steam rally at the week end. Has a big hole though, will have to give some thought about making an arbor.

Cheers Keith

Name:	STKI0007.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	926.4 KB 
ID:	4309  

Quote Originally Posted by keith77777 View Post
    It's a concrete lampshade !!
    There may only be one diamond in the house that will true this thing up, but I suggest you ask her first :naughty:

10. Grindstone cowboy

Hi Robin in the group

I really must broach the subject and duck to avoid flying pans.:lol: I think out of balance would be my gratest worry. Same old Steam rally as 5 years ago always the bloke drilling files. A shortcut to what I am trying to make would be the pillar drill you could make a swinging head by loosening off the head and having it rotate on a collar. Most surface grinders seem to have a trough with the gindstone doing the bis, guess this must be for safety. With having a variable speed motor at least I can keep the revs down for starters.

Cheers Keith

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information