. .
  1. Just read the small print... it now says under clause 13.3...

a. PayPal Buyer Protection only applies to PayPal payments for certain tangible, physical goods
    that can be posted. Payments for the following are not eligible for re-imbursement under PayPal
    Buyer Protection:
    . . .

• industrial machinery used in manufacturing.

So if you buy a lathe on eBay thats is couriered to you and pay by Paypal, does this mean it is no longer covered? I have emailed paypal for clarification...
    Last edited by irving2008; 07-09-2010 at 10:51 PM.

Wow, well spotted!

I guess that even if PayPal don't cover it then assuming you pay by credit card then the credit card company should cover you?

I wonder why they've introduced this...

I await PayPal's reply to your email with interest, not that I expect to be buying a lathe any time soon!

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    you could say it is a hobby lathe, but it does seem odd that this is mentioned specifically.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Wow, well spotted!

I guess that even if PayPal don't cover it then assuming you pay by credit card then the credit card company should cover you?

I wonder why they've introduced this...

I await PayPal's reply to your email with interest, not that I expect to be buying a lathe any time soon!
    Yes, but I have my paypal set up to use a debit card for smaller purchases, so would a collet set or a set of endmills fall foul of this description?

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Yes, but I have my paypal set up to use a debit card for smaller purchases, so would a collet set or a set of endmills fall foul of this description?
    Good point...I guess a collet set or endmills isn't a machine. It's all a bit vague though..

6. Well surprise surprise, I got a phone call from Paypal today, which resulted in a useful discussion, followed up by an email:

+++

Thank you for your time to talk with us about your concerns regarding
    the policy update for PayPal buyer protection in November 2010.

I would like to thank you for your comments regarding the
    clause in the PayPal?s User Agreement which is going to be applied in
    November 2010 which refers to the fact that ??Industrial machinery used
    in manufacturing?? will not be covered for PayPal Buyer Protection. You
    have indicated that this clause is not specified enough and may
    therefore become a potential problem for you as you are buying
    computerised equipment for a hobby and small business use.

Therefore I will take this matter further within our department in order
    to investigate whether we can bring more clarity to this clause. I do
    apologise in the meantime for the inconvenience this clause might bring
    to you.

Should you have any further queries on this matter, please feel free to
    email us at ...

Yours sincerely,

Joris Zandleven

Executive Escalations
    PayPal

7. The Following User Says Thank You to irving2008 For This Useful Post:

"Industrial machinery used in manufacturing"? One wonders if it's supposed to apply to companies / businesses / traders (ie VAT registered, or registered with Companies House?), rather than home / hobby users?

"Industrial machinery" - that could cover a lot: as well as mills / lathes etc it could also be sheetmetal presses / injection moulding plant, guillotines, packaging machines / thermoformers, fridges / freezers / ovens for the food industry, printing presses, welding plant, generator sets - the list is endless. It could also be taken to mean a part thereof: tools and dies for example, electrical systems / control panels. What about electrical test gear (DMM, 'scope, signal generators)? "Hobby" air compressors? Hand tools (spanners / sockets / screwdrivers, measuring eqpt)?

What about "other" items, used indirectly in the manufacturing industry, eg mobile phones / laptop computers / communication systems, TV's, DVD players? Does this come under it? At what point does an item come under "Industrial" equipment?

I would think its aimed at registered traders / businesses, but more clarification is required.

9. Thats a pretty good assessment of the discussion I had with them on the phone... I think what they were trying to avoid is getting stuffed for large scale disputes, like if you buy a £10k VMC on ebay. It wasnt meant to hit the small stuff but its too generic. Apparently some people have bought large scale goods like that via a paypal account set up specifically for the transaction and a CC. Then when there's a dispute about the suitability of the machine they put in a buyer claim on paypal and a chargeback request on the CC. that leaves paypal in the lurch... they cant take the money back off the seller unless the goods are returned but now they get stuffed for the buyers amount due to the new CC chargeback rules which as a merchant they are bound by.

Thread Information