. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. OK, got me a 660 x 680 piece of 1mm styrene sheet for £3.15... it will form to a 150 or 200mm cylinder (will use some MDF formers) and can be glued with contact adhesive. That place is a treasure trove of interesting stuff for modelling... hard o get stuff like wire mesh sheet in small sizes (both mesh and sheet size) at reasonable prices.

Had a look at the laser and a long chat to the guy that operates it. Got a video on my phone that I'll upload shortly (once I've figured how to get it off the phone). They do acid etching as well. They also do on-site white metal and resin casting from own patterns.

Location unknown. Last Activity: 08-02-2014 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 157. Received thanks 5 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Excellent news \o/

I've not used the place myself, just one of the many links I've collected during my, err, feasibility studies. Yes, feasibility studies is a good description for projects that never quite get started ;-)

3. :lol: What do you call a project that you've spent money on acquiring the parts, yet it still never quite got started??? I've a few of those too :)

Hmm, all this talk of thin plastics has got me thinking what to use to make machine bellows. Any ideas? Was there anything that looked suitable in that shop irving?

5. well the styrene comes in 0.5mm thick and thats quite pliable. If were scored right it might work without cracking... also PTGE sheet in 0.5mm. another idea would be styrene/PTGE strips glued to a fabric hinge.

Interesting. I think making fabric hinges could rapidly get tedious though.
    I'm getting really fed up with the swarf/dust/milling cutters dropping on to my Y-axis screw. The swarf builds up them makes a horrible noise from the oil being soaked up...can't be good for it.

Did you mean PFTE, not PTGE? I can't seem to find any info on PTGE. I think PTFE could be good since I've got some thicker sheet and it's very flexible.

Location unknown. Last Activity: 08-02-2014 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 157. Received thanks 5 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Keeping the dust out...

This guy planed his ballnut and used draught excluder
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=70

and this guy uses some sort of split pipe device + some sort of flexible plastic
    http://oneoceankayaks.com/madvac/machine_frame.htm, see last two pic's on page

both look to be good ideas

8. PETG is what I meant

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    :lol: What do you call a project that you've spent money on acquiring the parts, yet it still never quite got started??? I've a few of those too :)
    A-ha. That would be the proactive purchasing of serendipitous supplies.

10. Here's the video I took of their laser. It was making sample cuttings - basically a collection of 25mm squares of various materials, ply, balsa, card, etc etc, with the power & pulse rate used and an example of the cut you get by 'machining' a 20 x 10mm rectangle. Depending on the power/pulse rate this can be a mere scorching of the surface to a complete blast through and all depths in between.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information