Hello. I've registered to spend a while reading to absorb as much information as I can before deciding if actually getting a cnc machine is the right move.

I've been researching for a while.... my main conclusion being that I need to research more!

Initially I'm thinking of milling small wood peices (on the order of 120mm x 120mm x 60mm), drilling the odd aluminium box and perhaps routing PCB's - all for making cases really for DIY Hifi.

However, I'm also a car nut so it's tempting to look for some capability for metalwork, evenif only aluminium.

So that moved me from thinking about gantry style CNC routers to perhaps a small mill - Sieg X2 / Peatol Micro Mill. If the working area is large enough, then such a machine should handle the woodwork/drilling easily, PCB's with a suitable spindle and the odd aluminium part for the car.

I'm leaning towards the Peatol - I like the belt drive as standard, lead screws that can be used for some CNC use without replacing them and just the general impression I get.

But my main conclusion is I'd best spend a lot longer getting a feel for what requires I should use to decide the right machine etc in order to try and get something fairly suitable first time.

2. Hi turtle and welcome to the site...

If you're serious about the metal cutting a small mill may well be a better bet than a gantry machine... then again can't have too many machines :lol: