. .
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    It's funny as you see a lot very expensive contraptions being use when simple air/ pressure and gas mix is all that is needed. Most of this can be done by just moving stuff around. I used to be precise a converted plumbers torch to start with which worked fine. The trouble was not enough air could mix and i set the latest incarnation up to do some trial and error testing. the problem was that it took 2 minutes to find the optimum and left it as is. I go through a lot more disposable crucibles (stainless steel canisters) now only lasting no more that 3 melts but these do last longer than steel pipe.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

2. what do you use as a crucible?

Stainless spun steel canisters, still not got round to purchasing a decent one. When you need large they get very expensive. Check out the pound shops and look for the Russian doll principle coffee/ tea/ suger ones. At a pound a go works out much cheaper

4. how much ali do you get in one? must be quite thin walled to only last 3 firings... or your burner is turned up too high!

A good couple of pounds, the main reason is because most of the scrap i melt is extrusion and tubing i add copper to the mix. It makes it better for cutting but as consequence adds to the corrosive mix. A good tip for better quality ali, save old wheels, hard drives or similar. Thanks to a good friend i manage to own a piece of farri (part of wheel), very nice magnesium. be careful though skool boy science will tell you what happens if not done with care

I must think about what i type instead of typing what i think? My grammar is coming across pretty poor

Hello again Irving saw this on another site thought it might be of intrest to you http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/propane-burner.html
    cheers Tom...
    P.S. I've made a couple of wood burning stoves out of gas canisters.
    cut the first one with a stihl saw after leaving it for 2 weeks upside down with valve fully open thinking that propane being heavier than air would all be gone.found out it wasn't when the blade cut into inside,blowing the canister half way up the workshop in a fiery rage!!! breaking the disc on the saw and firing it in all directions..
    since then I have used the same method as yourself leaving it upright with garden hose running slowly for a day (no water shortage in scotland:naughty:)have had no problems since
    SO BE CAREFULL PLEASE EVERYONE!!!!!
    Tom...

I did much the same thing once when spark eroding the spike out of a 6 pounder cannon touch hole.

No problems until it broke through to the bore when the paraffin I was pumping down the electrode carburated going off with a dull thump.

Wouldn't have minded, but on hearing the hiss and crackle as it broke through I was shining my torch down the end.

No eyebrow loss, just made me jump.

Tried to make it do it again but no luck :naughty:

I have about 20 faulty hard drives lying around here and been wondering what to do with em....
    -- if you can't be good, at least be good at it --

10. send them over... in about 2 weeks I'll turn them into ingots :)

I have 6 x 8" floppy drives waiting...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information