. .
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Ooh, don't forget about the neodymium magnets in the hard drives, I've got plenty of projects waiting for some of them...

Oh gosh, I have a lot of them (and have the blood-blisters to prove it) and kept all the platters. They make real nice shiney coasters ......
    You want them magnets? I think I could get about 25-30 together (I still have to strip a few). They all vary in size though, so dont know what you need them for.
    -- if you can't be good, at least be good at it --

Blisters, ouch yes...they do nip a bit! Not as bad as the 2"x1"x0.5" monsters I used on my wind turbine though!

Yep, I've been using some platters for coasters too! Seems a shame to melt the platters but I wonder if they're a special grade of aluminium or anything?

I'm intending to make a generator and probably a brushless motor with the hard disk magnets when I've got enough.

You want them magnets?
    Yes please! I will of course cover the postage for you, if that's enough?

Watch those platters as most are made of glass these days and they look like aluminium. Gentle bend one in a vise and watch them shatter :-)

Hard disk aluminium is lovely stuff to cut
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

5. well i went into 4 poundstretcher/poundland/99pShops and couldnt find any stainless steel shakers/beakers... lots of alumnium ones pretending to be stainless steel!

Hi Irving

Didyou have a look in the kitchen sideofthe poundlands? the sugar,tea,coffee sets are stainless steel as I got a set last year but it wasn't ina pound shop it was in Home&Bargain shop which you might not have in your neck of the woods?the set was £2.99 I also picked up a stainless steel Ice bucket at a car booty for a pound this will be ideal as the crucible because its a lot thicker than those tumblers I just mentioned.

Car bootys are a great source for stainless steel items,seen a teapot and some beakers at the same booty but as I got the ice bucket I figured this will last sometime.

7. yes i looked extensively.. as I said, lots of ali ones but none I defintively say were stainless steel. have a few more to look at today, plus a car boot sale in the morning. No worries, i'm in no hurry as furnace wont be finished till next week at the earliest

Have you read this?

Really talented guy!
    http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=37059

http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=39794
    (Starts on page 10, but read whole thread. Interesting stuff!)

Lol,I don't think Irving is contemplating on rebuilding his cars engine?

That fella has too much time on his hands. :lol:

Could you use a terracotta flower pot for the crucible? There's some 50% off in the Wilko near me...not sure if the sizes were suitable as my mum steered me away too quick!
    The hole in the bottom is a bit annoying, but maybe you could plug that with a bit of mild steel. Maybe even just a bolt with a big washer.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information