. .
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    If there was gas still trapped in the bottle then an explosion would have occured immediatly we remove the bottles valve because the air would have ignited the remaining contents,this bottle has remained in an open state in the back yard since I first mentioned about making a furnace on this very forum two months ago?.

Anyway, Irving could you feast your eyes over this torch and give it your expertise as to whether a better one could be had?
    http://metalcast.boorman.us/reil_1.html
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 13-09-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: word spacing

3. Rubbish George... the air would not ignite anything... the mixture of oxygen and propane at 20:1 is highly explosive but wont explode unless its ignited.. by a spark.. its whats known as an explosive atmosphere... the point is that opening the valve will not replace any remaining gas in the cylinder ... gas travels from a higher pressure to a lower one... once its reached atmospheric the flow stops leaving traces of propane in the cylinder unless flushed out by something...

you were just lucky... others might not be...
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 13-09-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: added red to text and adjusted the size

Personally i feel that Georges post wants deleting on safety grounds alone, never mind about anything else.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 13-09-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Removed abusive comments.
    John S -

EDIT* Remove abusive comments.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 13-09-2010 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Remove abusive comments.

I have moderated this thread, John please refrain from attacking people directly like you did.

George, first warning and an infraction served.

George, it’s not up for discussion. We have said all that needs to be said in our previous correspondence to you weeks ago, this is another classic example of what we stressed to you, only this time, its on a topic, that could be very dangerous to others!

Both of you please refresh your memory of the current rules we have on the site:

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of MYCNCUK reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason.
    Play nice or dont play at all, please continue with the orginal discussion.
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 13-09-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
    .Me

7. Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
    Anyway, Irving could you feast your eyes over this torch and give it your expertise as to whether a better one could be had?
    http://metalcast.boorman.us/reil_1.html
    I have no expertise yet... I am on the learning curve. However I wont be making it from bits of gas tubing as a) its expensive and b) I prefer to experiment using those designs as a starter for 10. I have acquired some nice lengths of 1.5" steel scaffold pole which will form the basis of mine and a secondhand Silverline torch head like this, which has a 35mm burner and a nozzle to suit and provides a convenient way to attach the feed pipe and has a shutoff valve...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	456996.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	3094

Irving your burner does not need to be that elaborate. I have been running my furnace for just over a year now mainly to feed my habit of needing large blocks of ali to mill. I first went for an all singing converted torch head. these days i have a length of 6mm tube with a 0.6 welding tip soldered in the end which sits in front of a 20mm tube into the furnace. i can adjust the the tip in and out propped up by bricks etc etc. It's cheap, works wel, i do not need a blower and save a shed load of build time. I keep meaning to tidy it up but what the heck it works.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

forgot...i can melt bronze and brass mixes too
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

10. Quote Originally Posted by 2e0poz View Post
    Irving your burner does not need to be that elaborate. I have been running my furnace for just over a year now mainly to feed my habit of needing large blocks of ali to mill. I first went for an all singing converted torch head. these days i have a length of 6mm tube with a 0.6 welding tip soldered in the end which sits in front of a 20mm tube into the furnace. i can adjust the the tip in and out propped up by bricks etc etc. It's cheap, works wel, i do not need a blower and save a shed load of build time. I keep meaning to tidy it up but what the heck it works.
    It int going to be elaborate, just the torch leapt off a table at me on a car boot sale for £2, seemed silly not to, as its an easy way to make the burner. All I need to do is mount it in the end of the pipe, instant burner. No blower needed...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information