. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi Irving, Ecat,

I just saw the picture in the manual (same as your link ecat), plugged a standard network cable into the RJ45 socket on the VFD and removed my internet cable from my PC and plugged the other end in there. When it didn't work I just left it as it's not vital. However, looking back at the manual it does go on to explain a bit more, so its a case of RTFM !

Will look into an RS485 interface card and decide whether to bother for now, but thanks for your help.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Location unknown. Last Activity: 08-02-2014 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 157. Received thanks 5 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ecat For This Useful Post:

Thanks for that info. Does anyone make a convertor with an RJ45 female socket in, so that the RJ45 cable from the VFD can be plugged into that?

So the chain would be:
    VFD > RJ45 cable > [female RJ45 in / convertor box / cable out] > RS485 PCI card in PC.

Otherwise, it seems a bit messy. Using the £16.99 RS solution with the block terminals it would seem that I have to strip out one end of the RJ45 cable, and connect the 2 signal pins. Is that correct?

Also the manual states that resistors are required at each end of the cable, with an note on watching the impedances. Do these solutions above include that feature already?

I have to ask Why ?

You have one inverter that's now running and no more in the pipeline ?

When we used to fit them on the machines we were offered the option of downloading the parameters but to be honest by the time you had gone in and altered 6 or 7 whilst you were testing it really saved no time over getting a laptop, finding the leads etc. and still having to test it.
    John S -

Location unknown. Last Activity: 08-02-2014 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 157. Received thanks 5 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Thanks for that info. Does anyone make a convertor with an RJ45 female socket in, so that the RJ45 cable from the VFD can be plugged into that?

So the chain would be:
    VFD > RJ45 cable > [female RJ45 in / convertor box / cable out] > RS485 PCI card in PC.

Otherwise, it seems a bit messy. Using the £16.99 RS solution with the block terminals it would seem that I have to strip out one end of the RJ45 cable, and connect the 2 signal pins. Is that correct?

Also the manual states that resistors are required at each end of the cable, with an note on watching the impedances. Do these solutions above include that feature already?
    I'm sure you'll find something with a RJ45 socket, may put up the cost. The word 'industrial' means multiply by x where x is between 2 and 10.

How good is your soldering ?
    http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Co...on-jacks/63744

from what I can tell this is a simple socket, it's certainly cheap. Watch out for cat5 sockets that contain additional components, inductors etc

An RS485 installation should ideally have a resistor at each end of the cable run, you can chain multiple devices over quite a distance, this minimises problems with reflections. Are these resistors necessary for a short run? I can't say for sure, you may get away with one or even none at all. It's worth getting a couple just in case but I see the dv51 lacks a switchable internal resistor - probably a feature on the deluxe model (!!) - so some cable hacking will be necessary to fit a resistor at that end.

Hi John,

It's a fair question. I'm new to VFD drives, as you can tell, and when I saw this connection option I wanted to see what was involved. I suspect that I'll probably leave it configured as it is, but if it turned out to need lots of initial tuning then I wanted to know what my options were.

So the answer is because I could, and I'm inquisitive, although I'm not planning to at the moment.

Hi ecat,
    Nice info thanks. If I go down this route I think you've covered it for me.

Great stuff, thanks
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Routercnc,
    Sorry what I should have done was nip in the workshop and look at what settings were on my router, I have the air cooled version and Fuji inverter but the settings will be roughly the same. I know mine works OK as the Fuji tech set it up when it was delivered.

Sorry.
    I have a similar set up with an older GE AF-300 series drive. I believe FUJI manufactured it for GE. For some reason GE doesn't have anymore FUJI made drives. The closest to GE AF-300 that I could find was FUJI's G11 series.

http://www.ctiautomation.net/FUJI-Inverters.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information