Having spent a good deal of time looking around and pondering, oh the pondering, I've come to the conclusion that the best way to start a CNC router build is to buy a mill:

1) My b&Q bench drill must have over 0.5mm runout, it needs to be replaced
2) The ability to machine the basic motor blocks and possibly bearing housings required for the router vs the cost of buying ready made just about covers the total cost of the mill.
3) At least some of the tooling bought for the mill will be compatible with the router.
4) It would appear to be a cost effective introduction to the type of operations a CNC router can perform.

Why X1 size or more specifically, weight? Simple practicalities of moving it around.

Why the Super X1L? I think the extended X travel will come in useful. That and the price, the Taig/Peatol offers good travel but appears expensive.

Why a mill and not a lathe? Mostly familiarity with the basic form factor, ie I know feck all about lathes. Also, the big attraction of a lathe in this instance would be the ability to machine ballscrew ends, for this I'd need, say, 20mm through hole (?) which puts the lathe above the C1 class (?) - too heavy.

That's the introduction over with, please let me know if any of the above is mistaken. I'm not an engineer, every time I try to get into an engineer mind set I start thinking with a Yorkshire accent and suffer irresistible cravings for tea and hobnobs.

Arc Euro now have the X1L in stock so onto the point of this post, what common parts/standard accessories to buy?

1) Preparation. I'm happy to pay the money but I don't like the 2 months lead time.
2) Spare gears. I guess motor gear X1-10 is the one most likely to break, any advice?
3) Set of parallels and maybe a pair of 1-2-3 blocks.
4) 6mm MT2 end mill holder - just for starters.
5) Set of MT2 collets or...
6) A MT2/ER?? chuck with a set of ER?? collets (ER20 sound about right? could go up to ER32! )
7) Set of clamps.
8) Tea and biscuits.

Better get back to work :( I'll sort out some mill bits and I'll investigate boring arbors/heads and fly cutters later.