. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Do a google for 'jean way covers', these can be constucted into a box section and all it will cost you is a pair of old jeans and some varnish
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Be careful, my large lathe came with protective spring covers on the leadscrew, and I had to have them removed at the factory before delivery.

With it fitted, it restricted the movement towards the headstock so much, I couldn't get the tooling to reach the faceplate, even with the compound fully forwards.

Maybe you should do what has been done for the last century or so. With the leadscrew turning, just brush the swarf out of the thread with a 1" paintbrush.
    Besides, the covers are not there to keep swarf out, that is just a secondary feature, they are supposedly a safety feature to stop fingers getting mashed. Swarf will find it's way underneath them without fail, past your apron, then you will have the unseen swarf grinding away at your half nuts.

I had a hell of a job with the H&S legal eagles, and had to sign a release note to state that I wouldn't sue the suppliers if I had an accident after the covers were removed.

They are not all they are made out to be.

Bogs

How does one manage to trap their fingers behind the leadscrew? there is no need for the fingers to be in that area as it serves no purpose.

Swarf on the lead screw can hinder the auto travel and in turn possibly ruin the job?

This apron mod also helps considerably,along with the leadscrew guard will reduce the swarf getting onto that area...not saying it will not find its way onto the leadscew but you can bet your last penny it will minimise it more than it will without protection.

http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe...htm#Chip_Guard

Quote Originally Posted by bogstandard View Post
    the covers are not there to keep swarf out, that is just a secondary feature, they are supposedly a safety feature to stop fingers getting mashed.
    Yep, I remember at school the teacher would disable all the auto-feeds on the lathes before the health and safety man came round - because they didn't have covers! Was a bit annoying on the once a year or whatever that he came...

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeD View Post
    Swarf on the lead screw can hinder the auto travel and in turn possibly ruin the job?
    I doubt it would ruin the job. The swarf will wear the half nut which i guess would make a tiny difference to the accuracy....but not ruin it.

Had a look at the washing machine wastepipe,its too stiff because of the plastic covering the wire spring.

So needed to think again....no need for any sort of guard....two small brushes affixed either side of the halfnuts so that as the apron is travelling up and down the leadscrew the brushes are wiping the leadscrew from swarf.
    The brushes(if I can find it?) will be a piece of door draft excluder this is like those old vac cleaners with a bristle head on them to flick particles of debri out of the carpet.

This should do it. :whistling:
    http://www.reddiseals.com/acatalog/D...luders_lrg.jpg

Brushes sounds like a good idea. What about using a toothbrush in the right place, or one of those wire (brass) brushes...I think you'll want something quite stiff for it to be effective.

I think you'll want something quite stiff for it to be effective.
    True,and I have the answer dremmel brushes,these ones look like miniture chimney sweeps brushes and are really stiff bristles,they're not the brass ones which are the same style dunno what these bristles ones are for on the dremmel drills?never used them for anything.

Here's the fella....

http://www.dremel-direct.com/acatalo...tle_Brush.html

Jut need to make a crontraption now thats easily removed?
    Last edited by GeorgeD; 29-09-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information