. .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hi David,

How did you get on with your conversion? I have been playing with a smoothstepper board and got my machine running to a point (not got the tool changer running nor the spindle control yet). But have now acquired a new BoB (PMDX-126), so hopefully I can get everything running. Originally I got some cheap drives of Fleebay but I think I can retain the original drives as I believe they are better (the ones I bought seem to keep missing steps atleast I think it's them).

Regards

Steve

Hello Steve,

Regrettably progress has been almost zero. I have all the bits but have not had time to get anything running. Various excuses are available. I am currently designing panels for the VMC and my Conect lathe, then hopefully I can get on with doing something useful towards the rebuild.

I'm interested in the mechanics of the toolchanger. I shall have to make one for my machine as they seem like hen's teeth. I've found a video one on youtube but it doesn't show too much. I am assuming an air cylinder pushes the changer into place and another does the indexing. If you have any photos of the right hand part of the mechanism I'd be grateful, similarly the drive parts of the indexer.

I have lots of things I want to do with this so my lack of progress is infuriating, but the bills must be paid!!

I'm not sure I'd recommend keeping the original drives, I doubt they will microstep. I'm using CDE drives and processor. Go to http://www.eaziform.co.uk/index.php?home to see what he does. I have the M401 board for both machines plus a set of the stepper drives for each machine, but I will probably be using the newer 'Atom' board for the mill as it will be easier to drive the toolchanger, 12 axes etc.

With steppers I believe a lot depends on the current settings which must match the motor and the ramp rates. I am also told microstepping boards can drive motors faster as the transfer the power more smoothly between steps rather than jumping a whole step.

Quote Originally Posted by swood1 View Post
    Hi David,

How did you get on with your conversion? I have been playing with a smoothstepper board and got my machine running to a point (not got the tool changer running nor the spindle control yet). But have now acquired a new BoB (PMDX-126), so hopefully I can get everything running. Originally I got some cheap drives of Fleebay but I think I can retain the original drives as I believe they are better (the ones I bought seem to keep missing steps atleast I think it's them).

Regards

Steve

Hi Dave/all,

I have progressed quite well over the weekend with mine. I wasnt happy with the original setup/hybrid so I bought a better breakout board (PMDX-126), this seems to give all the I/O you could possibly need. I stripped out the Serial Porcessor Board but retained the stepper drive and it's respective board. I have connected the PMDX BoB up to the Stepper board and managed to get all the stepper motors running. Now just trying to connect the BoB to the spindle. I have the original Lenze Spindle Drive and isolation card and have left this completely as it was my thought being that I should be able to control the spindle from my new BoB, although I have been struggling with connecting this up.

I also removed the 3rd Axis Processor Board as this will no longer be required (it looks like it was just feeding step/dir back to the stepper board).

I believe getting the motors running is the easy bit. Getting the spindle, toolchanger and all the switches working are more challenging. Also, I would like to connect the switch control panel back up to the machine so they can be used. We shall see.

Steve

Hi all,

I have taken a photograph showing the board I have retained (mainly as it has the drives attached). With regards 0v, 12v, -12v, Ang, Dir, Ena. I believe these are all specific to the Spindle. My question is does anyone know if I can connect them directly to my BoB. I have worked out if Enable connector is 12v supply and when connected to the wire on the Lenze it starts the Spindle motor. I have also worked out that if you connect the 'dir' wire to 0v that also kicks the reversing relay.

Any help on how to wire to my BoB would be appreciated as struggling now. If you look in the photo XD, XC, ZD, ZC and CL5, CL6 are all the step, direction for the x, y, z axis which have all connected straight to my BoB.

PS. I have a PMDX-126 BoB and PMDX-107 Isolated Speed Control board although I am not 100% sure I need the 107 board.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151019_200134377.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	16329
    Regards

Steven

Hi Steven,

You will need the 107 board has it provides the 0-10V analog voltage source. It also provides you with couple of Solid state relays to Control Run and Dir.
    (thou strictly speaking these are not needed and you could just use normal outputs.)

I'm not expert on these Boxfords but I'm pretty sure that the +12v & -12V are not for the spindle speed unless the lenze needs analog + & - voltage for speed control and direction.? I think not thou.!!

Personally I think you would connect the Aout on the 107 to Ang and Agnd to 0V thou often the 0V usually as some ref to Analog Gnd like "Ana 0v".?
    The Enable and Dir would just be controlled via the relays.

What Card is this your showing.?
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 20-10-2015 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post

What Card is this your showing.?
    Hi JazzCNC,

It's showing the original Boxford card that has my drives attached. However I may move away from this when money permits but at the moment it would be nice to get the machine up and running even if it is slow. I was hoping I could use the machine to mill out the spokes on clock wheels as it takes me ages to cut and file them by hand.

Steve

It's showing the original Boxford card that has my drives attached.
    Ok I didn't think that was the Lenze board and the reason why I asked.
    Can you show the Lenze board and it's connections.

Hi attached are photos of a board attached to the Lenze with connections (which I assumed was doing the job similar to the 107 board ), I assume I should by pass this board and wire straight into the Lenze. I have also attached a photo showing the side of the Lenze with it's connections. The Lenze I have is the 534.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151007_210456249.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	218.3 KB 
ID:	16330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simplatron Systems DCVT-2 Board.JPG 
Views:	585 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	16331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lenze Wiring.jpg 
Views:	551 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	16332

Hi attached are photos of a board attached to the Lenze with connections (which I assumed was doing the job similar to the 107 board ), I assume I should by pass this board and wire straight into the Lenze. I have also attached a photo showing the side of the Lenze with it's connections. The Lenze I have is the 534.
    No if I remember correctly from helping Keith with his lathe this board is where you connect the 0-10V and Run signal from pmdx 107. Those 4 wires on the right are 0 & 10V and the + & - Enable for Run.

The Direction is changed by the Relay swaping the polarity of the DC spindle so you control this using the Dir relay on the 107.

Edit: Just be aware you will need to set Mach3 up so there is a pause for spindle to come to halt before reversing output is set other wise damage will be done.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 20-10-2015 at 06:20 PM.

Are you talking about the green board?

If so the connections on the right read look to read 10v, 5 (i assume volt), 0v, -10v. For some reason the machine was originally wired up using only the 5v and 0v connections. The bottom two wires are black/red for 240v ac. The Lenze seems to have a seperate 240v supply.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information