. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello everyone,
    I'd like some advice... simple really. I always buy big bits of aluminium and then as I make parts on the cnc, I'll cut a bit off thats the appropriate size. I don't really have much in the way of power tools, so I've been doing this by hand with a hack saw. Sometimes I've been cutting 8mm aluminium and it can be very exhausting!

One of my more recent projects is going to require me to cut through a 20mm bit of alu.

I'm fed up with the hack saw, it takes a lot of time and energy, so I'd like to get some sort of power tool to do it. Not really sure what to get though. Thoughts? Circular saw? Jigsaw? I haven't seen any alu circular saw blades? Will I be able to get something out of B and Q that will be beefy enough for 20mm alu plate? Where to buy as well?

Thanks,
    Dave.

You want an Angle Grinder with spare cutting blades to boot,cicular saw needs an Ally blade and don't last long continued use.

£15 in argos but vary in price depending on what make you want?

You can't use an angle grinder on alloy it will clog the blade up.

It's very dangerous practice as a loaded blade can explode.
    John S -

Erm! been cutting ally for a number of years now and my Blade hasn't exploded.

Excuse my ignorance though but....I thought an angle grinder was for numerous metal cutting jobs?

Oh and why do they sell blades that are for cutting ally,steel,stainless steel....ect,ect

Angle GRINDER is th clue. i use a SLOW speed chop saw that uses a METAL cutting blade which has a fine set of teeth. Don't waste your money on a small bench band saw. If you have the room look out for an old industrial type one instead. You won't regret it and i would sap my chop saw for one any day of the week. John is right loading a blade at high speed can explode. It even happens with a band saw in the wrong circumstances.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

And the essential stand,because you chop and release rather than cut...been doing it like this for seven years with 15mm and 20mm Ally,any thin stuff and I use my slidingmitre saw with appopriate blade.
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster...nds-prod20849/

George if i was on a site or underneath a car then i would use exactly what you have suggested. it is not wrong for slicing off a bolt, cutting some tubing or removing a door hinge etcetera. In a workshop environment for cutting plate materials i would rather use the proper tool. trust me i have used the tools you say here and have the scares to prove it. Safety is too under estimated and my old workshop tutor would be turning in his grave. These things get you out of a hole when there is nothing else available for sure and as always at your own risk.
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Lives in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 25-10-2022 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 699. Received thanks 29 times, giving thanks to others 1 times.
    chop saw.....

I use an old bandsaw with a skip tooth blade for aluminium, 40mm is a bit slow, half inch is easy, 1/4" it doesn't really notice it's cutting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information