. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Just returned to the UK after living abroad for several years, and now eager to get my teeth into fixing and making stuff just like I used to enjoy. I'm a keen woodworker and I've dabbled with some electronics (e.g. making my own parallel port interface boards), and I would happily do some engineering if I had a suitable workshop. For the moment, I'll probably just bash together some low-accuracy cnc router or engraver just for some fun.

As an aside, when I was living abroad (Thailand), the local markets sold second hand steppers, leadscrews, x-y tables, bearings, and other control gear all over the place. I can think of some second hand stalls that sold nothing but. I'd imagine it was much cheaper than I'm going to find over here, so I might have to buy some stuff on my next trip out there. I guess the same is true for a visit to China.

If anyone has a project on the go and lives in my local area (Cirencester, Glos.) I'd be interested in hooking up and learning from some of your mistakes.

Hi,

Welcome to the site, your membership has been approved and you now have full access.

Please post your questions in the relevant forums for the best assistance.

Sorry for the delay,

Lee
    .Me

Hi Brian,

I recently joined for the same reasons. I live in Cheltenham. I used to live and work in Ciren. and I have a client there whose premises I occasionally visit.

My CNC router project project is still in my head but I am getting tooled up for it. I purchased a second hand Sieg X2 mill last week and a lathe is next on the list, probably a Sieg Super C3 when they become available. Naturally these machines will eventually be CNC retrofitted.

Anyway, whoever gets started last can learn from the other's mistakes.

Kenneth

Hi Kenneth,

There won't be much activity from me for a while (well, maybe I'll look into the electronics) as I'm currently renovating a house and my kitchen is my workshop. Still, it's handy to have a kettle, chopsaw, router, and bandsaw all in such close proximity. Hopefully I'll have more convenient workshop space in my next place, and then I may make a start. If I need any turning done, I may refer to my father (now retired) as he still has a decent sized metal working lathe.

Brian

Lee,

No problems about the delay. Maybe I can see some of those photos now.

Great site by the way.

Brian

Welcome Brian nice to see another local to the fold. I'm only in Swindon and your welcome for a vist, i've made plenty of mistakes.

Paul
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Thanks, Paul. I'm often in Swindon and would welcome the chance to see what other people are doing before I embark on anything myself (not that that's going to happen for a while, anyway).

Brian

Sent you a PM
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

^^ Thanks. Just replied.

Just joined and am fairly local, would be great to hook up and learn from you guys, am just the other side of Marlborough in Pewsey. Would not be adverse to cheap Chinese parts either.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information