. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ok, yes, I know I'm going to get frustrated using stepper motors & rods out of 3 DEC dot matrix printers but hey...we've all got to start somewhere!

I live in North London...don't have the luxury of a shed, garage, spare room etc...so I've been consigned to an unconverted loft - basic to say the least - not even any boards down & I have to balance across the joists...ok., I jest (actually, it's not so bad at the moment but I'm sure it'll wear thin in November!).

Got my motors, my driver board, my PSU.... some steel rods (out of the printer!)...just got to figure out a way of 'gluing' them all together.

Anyway, it's good to find this place.....I felt alienated on forums where everyone can source "aluminium storefront watchacallit" (I've checked & whatever it is, it's not listed in the Argos catalogue).

Expect some naive line of questioning to commence imminently!

Cheers,
    Hank
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 29-08-2008 at 08:35 PM.

2. Yep, we all have to start some where.
    What are you looking at making?
    You may want to look at the rockliff plans for some ideas.

Dont forget to post some progress pictures?

3. Welcome, was just looking at your 'Poor man's XY table' post on CNCZone.

Whereabouts in North London?

Gary - small pcbs.

Eventually, something than can route recesses neatly in guitar bodies (to fit electronics inside).

Re Rockcliff plans - Funny you should say that...I've looking at Rockcliff builds all night. A couple of things trouble me....

1. Being American...I'm figuring the plans are all imperial.....eugggh!

2. A few people have said they've 'modified' their builds ....so much for the blurb about being an evolution & are currently most excellent (or words to that effect)

Irving - I live in Fortis Green (between Muswell Hill & East Finchley...about 100m from the childhood home of the Kink's Ray Davies - but I think he has a better pad now). Re poor mans XY rails - I've now aborted that idea ...the one comment I got on the CNC-Zone back made sense ....ie 'bind-sville' (all it was, that being unfeasibly tight...Tesco's clearing them out at £7 a pop seemed a) cheap & b) lazy! )
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 30-08-2008 at 12:42 AM.

5. It is imperial and metric,
    I got the plands just to have a look, and am thinking of doing a larger machine, but not got round to it yet

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    Gary - small pcbs.

Eventually, something than can route recesses neatly in guitar bodies (to fit electronics inside).

Re Rockcliff plans - Funny you should say that...I've looking at Rockcliff builds all night. A couple of things trouble me....

1. Being American...I'm figuring the plans are all imperial.....eugggh!

2. A few people have said they've 'modified' their builds ....so much for the blurb about being an evolution & are currently most excellent (or words to that effect)

Irving - I live in Fortis Green (between Muswell Hill & East Finchley...about 100m from the childhood home of the Kink's Ray Davies - but I think he has a better pad now). Re poor mans XY rails - I've now aborted that idea ...the one comment I got back made on the CNC-Zone sense ....ie 'bind-sville' (all it was, that being unfeasibly tight...Tesco's clearing them out at £7 a pop seemed a) cheap & b) lazy! )

Thanks Gary...that's one issue-ette addressed (I really couldn't stomach getting involved with measurements such as eleven thirtytwo'ths)

Here's the Rockcliff blurb....

" with our refined plans I have gotten Homemade CNC down to an art, , the plans and instructions we sell today did not appear overnight and have been refined and tweaked over a ten year period, so purchasing our plans today you will feel confident building your DIY CNC router that your finished machine will perform as advertised"

Yet, time & time again...I read of users changing the plans! That would bug me...ie shelling out for the "10 year honed plans"...only to find I have to change/enhance them!

This guy seems to know what he's doing (3 pdf files of his erhmm 'modified' Rockcliff build)...

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...5&d=1198415032

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...9&d=1201795716

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...5&d=1204908004

(not sure if you need to be a CNC-Zone member & logged in to download the above or not)
    Last edited by HankMcSpank; 30-08-2008 at 12:44 AM.

7. People change them not because they are not that well thought out, but because every machine is different.
    Also people decide that they are going to use different materials like ballscrew instead of leadscrew, and this needs different mountings, they may prefer to use profiled rail rather than bar and so on, also the rockcliff plans are for people on a budget, so most of the time, people upgrade it to be more ridged.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    Thanks Gary...that's one issue-ette addressed (I really couldn't stomach getting involved with measurements such as eleven thirtytwo'ths)

Here's the Rockcliff blurb....

" with our refined plans I have gotten Homemade CNC down to an art, , the plans and instructions we sell today did not appear overnight and have been refined and tweaked over a ten year period, so purchasing our plans today you will feel confident building your DIY CNC router that your finished machine will perform as advertised"

Yet, time & time again...I read of users changing the plans! That would bug me...ie shelling out for the "10 year honed plans"...only to find I have to change/enhance them!

This guy seems to know what he's doing (3 pdf files of his erhmm 'modified' Rockcliff build)...

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...5&d=1198415032

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...9&d=1201795716

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...5&d=1204908004

(not sure if you need to be a CNC-Zone member & logged in to download the above or not)

The rockcliff is a good starting point and i would go with it if i was you, welcome to the forums !

Thanks.

It will be a Rockcliff based variant.

I've baulked at the prices folks want for steel rod & bushings to build it...so I'm going back to the skip!

The old 3 dot matrix printers I've stripped have provided me with steppers, limit switches & one rod each (with two bushings). The steel rod is only 320mm long (& 12mm diameter)...so I'll likely make a CNC that's 300mm-ish in the X & Y axis.

I've convinced myself that the shorter axis, will help with rigidity & therefore accuracy.

My problem is that I'm probably not going to be able to lay my hands on another 3 dot matrix printers for a few months yet...so, there's not a whole lot I can do right now.

Since, I'll be altering the dimension in all 3 axis, I won't be buying the plans, but I can get the gist just by looking at the many photos that abound on the web.

Hi Hank,

Welcome to the forum!

I too bought plans from the US (Solsylva 4x2) and other than the basic idea of a short gantry running on raised rails and rack&pinion drive on one axis, I've changed just about everything else:D. I've changed from all wood/ steel pipe and allthread to Steel/PVC, precision round rail and ballscrew and I'm so glad I did. The Plans however contain so much infromation it was worth the purchse for that alone. This is a very friendly site and some really helpful guys, I'm sure you are going to enjoy visiting, I certainly do.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information