. .
    Finally got my X2 waiting in the workshop, trouble is before I start making swarf I need to get tooled up!

I've been looking around for a vice and I'm frankly bewildered. I took a bit of a gamble and ordered one from Axminster - unfortunately at 4" it's a bit too big and I'm not that impressed with the fit and finish so it's going back.

So I now know that it's probably a 3" vice I want, budget is £50-100 but possibly a smidge more.

I notice a lot of people seem to use the screwless precision type vices like this one on their X2s, this one is sold by Chronos and seems cheap at £65. I assume they're popular for a reason and I like the V grooves for holding round work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110102L.jpg 
Views:	715 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	3229

The other one whch has caught my eye also on Chronos (£81 this time) is this one which is described as a low profile vice - this sounds good as I know I may struggle for Z axis clearance with larger drills but am I going to miss the extra jaw depth?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110070L.jpg 
Views:	1516 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	3230

Would greatly appreciate some advice from anyone on these or any other vices you might reccomend.

Thanks,
    Alan.

Measure the width of the table, double it, and that is the total overall length of the vice you need. You have half of it hanging over the front of the table. In your case somewhere about 184mm long.

If it comes with a detachable swivel base, take that off before fitting, as all it does is reduce the rigidity of your setup.

The 80mm one of the first ones shown should be ideal. I wouldn't recommend the very last ones.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo.../Machine-Vices

All you would need to do is to make some hold down clamps.

Bogs
    Last edited by bogstandard; 21-10-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Thread Information