. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Im thinking about converting a fairly big mill that ive got with lead screws (i would say that the xyz axis are fairley easy to move). It has quite a lot of backlash at the moment so am going to see if i can reduse it but is good for its age (i realise it wont be super accurate). I have used hass mills before but know very little about converting mills. I have been looking at this system 4 kit http://www.diycnc.co.uk/html/cnc_systems.html and woundered if it would have enough power with 3nm steppers geared down 2:1. so i just want to know everything i need to know and if its worth doing.

Thanks

A Newton is about 100 grams and motors are usually rated by holding torque rather than pull in torque. You need to see a torque against speed graph to know if you are in the right ball park. If the mill is of any size then you'd want NEMA 34 steppers or servo's for speed.

Suggest you wind some kind of tape around one of the handles and then see what weight you have to lift on the end of it before you feel the kind of torque you reckon would make a cut.

Ok, so can i get a simular system for nema 34s without costing a fourtune. I do not particually want it to be very fast, so dont mind if its a bit slow.

I tryed pulling on the handels and measuring the weight and at about 2" away from the centre it took 4 kilograms and at 6" it to under 1 with no load to move the table. like i said i would say it has very low friction and have used smaller mills with more friction. so dont know how much power i need?

Thanks

Interesting choice of units

I calculate 1 kgf inch = 0.25 Nm or thereabouts.

4kgf at 2 inches = 8kgf inches = 2Nm
    1kgf at 6 inches = 6kgf inches = 1.5Nm

Table's kind of stiff if that's at no load.

You can get more Nm out of a motor with a belt reduction but that doesn't do your top speed any favours.

Q1: Can you free the table up?
    Q2: Does it matter if it's kind of slow?
    Q3: Could your budget stretch to servo motors?

best

Robin

Ok, i dont mind if its slow, dont think i can free up the table anymore. I dont know how much a servo system would cost, so dont know about budget. I thourght they were a lot more so dont know anything about them.

Thanks

The acceptable level is whatever you are prepared to accept

If the sloppy slide is tight enough to resist the cutting pressure you can then correct backlash with software.

thanks for info, the table should not move under cutting pressure so backlash compensation should help. been looking at the nema 34 kits from zapp and woundered if they were powerful enough but dont know what size motors i need

Hello Speedhound,
    It looks like a nice machine .
    And it will take a serious effort to make it run .
    But nothing that a few hours in your workshop cant fix
    Is it correct to assume you have changed the axis to ballscrews (there are zero backlash preloaded ballscrews).
    If so which kind of bearings you use on the end (the rigid side).
    You will need bearings that get rid of the radial and axial play.
    you can do that whit one bearing ore a combination of more then one.
    On the opposite side they need to be supported whit a needle bearing ore a ball bearing .
    In a way they can compensate expansion and shrinkage of the ballscrew.
    For the motor it will depend on how fast you want to go whit the feeds.
    They have told me for a mill like yours you need about 8 NM on the screw
    So if you have 3NM motor it need a reduction of 3 to accomplish your goal.
    Enjoy your build.
    Kind regards,
    Andre.

Experience is the sum of stupidities you have done.

10. Dont forget a 3Nm motor will not give you 3Nm, unless it is at zero speed.
    The 3Nm is holding torque and the actual torque you will get is dependant on the driver, RPM and Voltage.
    You need to look at the torque curve of the motor to determine the torque.
    as an example a 3nm holding torque motor will give you between 0.4Nm to 1.8Nm depending on the voltage and speed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information