. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Every day when I sign on here and look up the new posts I see loads of people joining from all over but then no posts ?
    John S -

hahaha!!! im with you there john,,,, its doing my head in! i want colour photos, vids and drawings of new and exciting adventures into engineering... sh*t... id settle for a papermache cnc build with an electric tooth brush for a spindle!

From my point of view, I don't reply to posts I cannot contribute anything useful to ... but I know what you mean ... a hardcore of active members supplying all the info (you are appreciated though) However I would not want to trawl through hundreds of posts full of sod all or worse every day!!
    Tim G-C

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

(attrib. Voltaire but written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall "The Friends of Voltaire" 1906)

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblybootie View Post
    From my point of view, I don't reply to posts I cannot contribute anything useful to ... but I know what you mean ... a hardcore of active members supplying all the info (you are appreciated though) However I would not want to trawl through hundreds of posts full of sod all or worse every day!!
    Indeed, I think most of them are still reading up and viewing the contents. We changed the way new members use the site now, so now they have to introduce themselves before they get access to the good stuff. In about 4 weeks we’ve only had 1 spam post to deal with and you guys never even got to see it :), I grant them access every other day, so recently that has meant 6-7 new Threads pop up as "new members" all at once.

My build is coming along nicely at the moment, I’m waiting till I’ve got all the plates made before I start a build log for it though. Two plates left to go and some small bits I need to buy then its go go go and live for you all to see.

I’ve been secretly working on a new front end for the site and that is gong to be ready soon to, I’m really pleased with it and can’t wait to show it off. This is another reason I have been a bit absent in posting on the forums, so much to do and never enough time to do it all.

I am here though, keeping an eye on things. :)

Lee
    .Me

Lives in Manchester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14-11-2011 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 8.
    Ok, so I’m new here and I can’t claim to have made a machine of papermache “with an electric tooth brush for a spindle!” But I have been building mine for the last 3 years just to see if I could, well today I got my first result, it has successfully carved out a PCB with nice smooth edges, a result I calibrated with a cup of tea, the Z drive motor at the moment is running off an old car battery charger till I get the power supply built, which should be a 30volt 20amp unit, should be enough to work things I think, my current unit is running flat out at 19volts just to keep the 5v steppers from skipping steps, the stepper motor control unit I built from Tom McWires Instructables report, the rest is Qcad & Kcam, the Z drive I built using a model boat motor and turned the bearing housing to hold the home made chuck which is just a piece of hex bar with a 1/8in hole and three 6BA screw to hold the milling cutter, which in this case is a 1/8in center drill with a 25thou drill end, the rest is in the picture which I think I posted somewhere (I hope) along with todays result

Mark

nice one Dopy, sounds well posh!!! :) cant find the photo though ????
    shame its not made out of papermache... that would have well cheered me up
    your further along than i am, mine is all here but still mostly in bits
    it should be making a noise before christmas

Lives in Manchester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14-11-2011 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 8.
    I bet I put it the wrong place, I'll try again sorry, Oh and not posh lol

8. Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Indeed, I think most of them are still reading up and viewing the contents. We changed the way new members use the site now, so now they have to introduce themselves before they get access to the good stuff. In about 4 weeks we’ve only had 1 spam post to deal with and you guys never even got to see it :), I grant them access every other day, so recently that has meant 6-7 new Threads pop up as "new members" all at once.

My build is coming along nicely at the moment, I’m waiting till I’ve got all the plates made before I start a build log for it though. Two plates left to go and some small bits I need to buy then its go go go and live for you all to see.

I’ve been secretly working on a new front end for the site and that is gong to be ready soon to, I’m really pleased with it and can’t wait to show it off. This is another reason I have been a bit absent in posting on the forums, so much to do and never enough time to do it all.

I am here though, keeping an eye on things. :)

Lee
    Hi Lee,

Just arrived in SF, having been off the air for a couple of weeks - there being no working wifi or broadband in the hotel in Yosemite National Park, and anyway been out hiking :)

You're right about the spam. In the 10 weeks since we made the change I have only had 2 new users I havent approved who were clearly attempting to post commercial ads and no true spam. Its made my life easier.

Having said that, I have noticed that new users are reticent to post asking questions. either that means they are getting the answers they need from the forum without posting, or they are afraid to post for various reasons. Maybe we should canvas new users to get their input?

I'll be back next week and normal moderation will resume, so you can get on with the new front end (I've seen it and I can tell you its going to be great!).

cheers (from a very wet n windy SF)
    Irving...

As a new user I'll give my thoughts, other's mileage may vary.

Personally I'm interested in converting a mini mill so the bits I'm interested in are the software and hardware for the stepper drives, beyond that anything about the bed/gantry type machines are not that relevant for me and that's what the main focus of the forum is.

I also think a lot of people sign up as they like the idea of having a CNC machine but when it comes down to it don't have the time/money/motivation to actually do it.

John,

I am one of those new members, and only just now received my account approval, so I haven't had much of a chance to post :) . . . but, as Wobblybootie put it above, "I don't reply to posts I cannot contribute anything useful . . ." That accounts for long periods of silence from me, although you may recall some extensive discussions you and I, with others, engaged in a while back on the HSM forum. I have almost always found your posts to be informative or at least interesting, and I appreciate the time and effort you devote to them.

Most recently I note your participation with Gearotic, a great new automation tool! Although my own CNC capability is only now gestating, I will be demo-ing the program to our local hobby CNC group in a few days and will be pointing to your postings from the recent show as evidence of what it can do. I expect that will generate some new Gearotic users around here.

Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information