. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Day Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,910. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I'm quickly starting to think that CNC is more hassle than it's worth!

The conclusion is the Motor Controller is the issue, so that's going to cost me (see thread here).

So now I know where I am with the spindle woes, the current plan, with regards the drives/controller, is to keep the existing power supplies (36V + 18V) and steppers, drop in the smoothstepper and C23 board, fix up a 5V supply for the SS & C23, and add in a couple stepper drivers.

I had planned on using the smaller drives from ArcEuroTrade, as I was going to order a quick change tool post at the same time, but they're out of stock with no planned date for delivery. I'm now very much regretting selling those two Gecko G251's last year :-/
    Had a quick search for other options, but for similar drives, they're all a bit more expensive than Arc.

While on the subject of tool posts, would the model 200 from Arc be too big?
    Having measured it up, and laid a holder on the cross slide (I already have a model 200 on my Clarke lathe, along with 10 assorted holders), it could fit, but look totally out of place size wise. I'd say the lever will hit the cover, but I'd soon modify/remove the lever.
    Depending on how I get on with this lathe, I may build a tool changer for it, so the other short term option is to try and match the existing quick change tool post that is already fitted, and get a couple holders for now, depending on price.

I've also been looking at adding flood coolant, and it would mean sealing up the enclosure. The enclosure is just bolted together, with numerous seems for fluid to leak out, so I'm not sure on the feasability. I'm thinking some PU adhesive along the seems would do, but coolant could still leak past the headstock, so would need to add a bit extra protection in that area.
    Last edited by m_c; 14-11-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Thread Information