. .
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Following a bit of diagnostic work on the latest lathe purchase, it looks like the SCR motor controller is the problem (motor runs smoothly when powered from a couple car batteries, but growls/rumbles when powered by the controller, and the controller is pulling far too many amps - pulling 5amps from the mains when only 1amp is going through the motor).

So, I've now got the option of either trying to locate a new motor controller suitable for powering a 0.55kw (3/4hp) 180V DC motor, or swapping the whole lot out for a normal AC motor and VFD.

The only suitable SCR controllers I've found so far are KB Electronics ones, with the KBCC-225 being the nearest match in terms of features. However, it's going to cost at least $200, and that will probably work out to nearer £200 by the time everybody else adds their fees/taxes.

And for £230 I can get a 1hp Marelli motor & Parker VFD delivered from here.

M_C

PM sent.
    John S -

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    New KB Electronics KBIC-240D has just been ordered from Axis Controls (www.axiscontrols.co.uk), and I should have it on Monday.

Unusually, it was about a direct conversion price wise from $ to £ going by the US prices I'd found via google.

Thread Information