Hi all,

I'm a trained cabinet maker, though not worked as such for about 10 years now (kept my hand in with hobbies and guvvy jobs though!), but when I did work in a panel shop, one of the machines that always amazed me was the CNC.

Never did it cross my mind that I could build one!

Anyway, I recently did a run of hand routered signs for work, and thought there must be an easier way to do this.
A little research and a lot of people requesting house numbers be done etc, and I decided to jump in and build my own CNC Router. I also build and fly model aircraft, so having an automated way of cutting foam kits etc is a bonus

I'm initially going the MDF route (a material I'm very happy working with) and utilising a moving gantry - me being ambitious as I am, I'm building a machine with 2M x 1M size monster! I was going to go for a full 2440 x1220 cutting capability, but I would have nowhere to house such a machine.
I was inspired by threads I'd read somewhere about building a CNC with hardware available from DIY shops etc and ebay, so have bought all my hardware from ebay, screwfix, sitebox and B&Q Total cost for everything I have got is under £300

So if this all works out, I should be able to recoup my initial build cost and look to building a more substantial machine later.

Anyhow, looking forward to picking peoples brains and putting together a build log.

Lee