. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi , first post here. Im building a set of expansion chambers for a racebike, it involves guessing angles lengths etc so everything fits and points inthe right direction. I enter the lengths angles etc into a program which prints out the shape of the part, i make a cardboard cutout of it and build a cardboard exhaust, when Im finished I can dissasemble the pipe and scan the parts , is there a way I can scan the parts and convert to dxf so I can send it off to the laser cutters to have the segments cut . there could be 15 or 20 per pipe x 2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipes2.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	3359

Any suggestions appreciated.
    It is kinda cnc related !!

Mike

You don't need to scan the individual segments of the pipe - if you have a good sheetmetal working place (who has skilled sheetmetal workers) place nearby you can supply the dimensions of the pipe as an entire item and they'll be able to work it out with relative ease. If need be, they should be able to roll and weld the cut segments as well.

What CAD program/s are you using?

Hi AdierR, Im using a 2 stroke engine simulation program called MOTA, it has a utility for designing pipe segments.
    there is a free demo you can download, from http://www.iwt.com.au/MOTA.HTM the pipe designing part is not crippled or restricted.
    Can be usefull for other general stuff.
    A sheetmetal place would charge too much as there is a ton of welding, lasercutting seems to be theway to go as it doesnt get distracted

Try http://www.scan2cad.com/ for a looksee. 14 day full function trial might be long enough to do what you want.

Mike

Hi,
    You can scan the part and import the image into CAD and over draw it, well you can in Autocad as I've done it many times.
    Difficult part is getting the image into a form the CAD package will accept

peter

Tried to get the demo but it times out, might be an easy way round this if I can get a sample file
    John S -

John,

I've uploaded the demo to dropbox.

Mike

John,

forget that last post, I've got my 'demos' mixed up.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Hi , first post here. Im building a set of expansion chambers for a racebike, it involves guessing angles lengths etc so everything fits and points inthe right direction. I enter the lengths angles etc into a program which prints out the shape of the part, i make a cardboard cutout of it and build a cardboard exhaust, when Im finished I can dissasemble the pipe and scan the parts , is there a way I can scan the parts and convert to dxf so I can send it off to the laser cutters to have the segments cut . there could be 15 or 20 per pipe x 2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipes2.jpg 
Views:	491 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	3359

Any suggestions appreciated.
    It is kinda cnc related !!

Mike
    Off on a tangent, just thinking out loud......

You say your entering data into software which prints out a shape that you then cut out, could you use some free pdf software to print to pdf rather than your printer (i think theres one called something like bulldog pdf, this replicates a printer on your system) then use some free pdf to dxf software (I think inkscape does this but not certain) this would give you the shapes as a dxf, you would have to check the scaling of it though.

Thats assuming that the original software prints out the shape correctly and the cardboard doesnt need trimming to fit your bike which I suspect might bugger up my suggestion

Is that an RD350 YPVS motor by the way?

Thanks guys , Ive downloaded the scan2cad and it looks like it will do the job admirably.

Vic your idea is great, simple things usually are, In my case it wouldnt work as there is a box printed around the shape I want , It might distract the laser thing.
    maybe I over estimate the standard of drawing for the cutters, they are probably used to drawings on the back of fag packets and hunks of metal with chalk drawings.

Yes it is an RD 350 powervalve motor, my other bike is a RD350 LC without the powervalves, they are wicked motors, I love them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information