Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
I fancy having a dabble too (I'm finding that some of the SMD parts I want/need @0.65mm pitch are just too small for this ageing hand & eyes!) - sigi, what the the pickup tool you used (& vacuum pump)...was it 'improvised' ....or did you buy? (if so have you any linkage that I can partake in?)

I'm curious how the pickup nozzle gets a good seal on the part? Also is the pickup nozzle 'sprung' to avoid stress of the component 'pickup surface' should the parts (or board) not all be completely level bed.
First idea was to use adapted aquarium pump - didn't work, vaccum was ok but not enough flow. Also vacuum was kinda "pulsed". For small parts OK, but big parts - big problems
So I used old refrigerator compressor and fiddled up two relays to operate as two valves: first to "let vaccum enter nozzle" and other to "devacuum nozzle" (so component can be released fast). Big mess, all together.

If I can suggest you, buy cheapest electromagnetic valve and smallest ejector, and connect this to standard compressor or source of pressurized air. Check FESTO, SMC or other manufacturers of pneumatic components for prices and options.

Pickup nozzle presses on component by it's weight only (10g maybe?); in video you can see, it moves freely up when I change nozzle.