. .
    Hello,

i'm Philippe, having lot's of fun on my workshop with electronics and mechanics.
    I play with an homemade foundry, littles (aciera F1 mill, Ø110X450 lathe) and bigs (2tons mill and Ø360X1000 lathe) machines, i learned old technics as hand scraping but like high tech ones also so next step is "CN'ising" some of my machines,
    so here i'm

Phil

2. Hi Philippe and welcome to the site. Sounds like you have a nice workshop there. How big is your foundry and what have you made with it?

Hi irving2008 thank you,

It's an electric furnace, first version was limited to 5kg of aluminium.
    I made mostly ingots for having parts near final size (less machining) but also tryed for fun a Ø200 backstand wheel and some other parts.
    second bigger version is near production but i have to complete new workshop first...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050849.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	3376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040112.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	3377Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050823.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	3378

4. Interesting... I am building a propane one capable of handling approx 6kg. Did you design yours yourself or base it on someone elses design? Would be interested in the running costs, what current draw?

It's my design :^)
    For hobby foundry, if you stay on aluminium, electric is the best for health, security, quality and running cost.
    this one was my first design with 3,2Kw power on 230V and can melt 5kg in less than 1H at about 40 cents cost here (11 cents €/kwh)
    He was designed cheap but can melt alu at 800°C for a long time with no problem.

if you want to go to bronze (1150°C) propane will be way faster but still higher cost and less melted product quality.

I'm designing an improved version with 4kW and better insultation to catch easily bronze melting .
    ...i also have a rated 40Kw gasoil burner to try cast iron :^) but not the same race here.

I think i would like to have this in a build thread, seems a good way to cut down the chip volume at least.:lol:

Phil

7. That was my thinking Phil... to many things I want to make involve more waste than finished product... so get close to the finished shape with a casting and machine it... I only work in Ally anyway...

Hi,

yes reducing chip volume and having ready needed shapes (plate, cube, cylinder) or particular ones, i just mold some et voilà.

I will post a thread about mark II furnace built, though it's not for now, more a winter project as it will serve heating the workshop :^)

Phil

Thread Information