. .

Thread: Wi-Fi Gizmo

I want to extend the range of my Wi Fi what is the thing I'm looking for called.

It just need to be directional I'm not BT, maybe fixed outdoor type maybe.

Phil

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Google WiFi Range Extender.

Not used one personally, but that's what they're called.

I'm interested in this too - to get the wireless connection up to my workshop. I've seen the odd design for a directional antenna lurking around, but never tried it.

google a wireless bridge. there is a way of re flashing an old wireless router to act as the bridge to connect the two networks together. You can by off the shelf as well
    If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

If the nagging gets really bad......Get a bigger shed:naughty:

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I used to have a few bookmarks saved for making wifi antenaes, but in the end I figured it was just far easier/cheaper/more reliable to get a roll of cable.

However if you want to stick with wireless, a booster will simply receive the wifi and retransmit. Ideally it should sit roughly in the middle of the main wifi point (usually your router) and whatever you want to receive the wifi (usually your computer). However, getting it roughly central between the two points isn't always practical. If your router isn't on the shed side of your house, a booster may provide enough boost to allow the signal to reach the shed.

A Bridge on the other hand, is more suited where you want to connect several computers at a second location (i.e. your shed). It essentially connects (aka bridges) two seperate networks together, and in the case of this thread, it makes the two networks appear as one. Wifi bridges also have the benefit of providing a physical network connection at the second location, which is always handy for older/non-wifi computers.

Which approach you use depends entirely on what you want to acheive.

Lives in Hull, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 28-04-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 72.
    Goto www.solwise.co.uk I used to work there they have what you need hell they can do a 30Km ling in 2.4Ghz never mind 5Ghz its just the curve of the earth thats the problem there. If you really need help PM me I used to set this stuff up all the time and its not as hard as it looks.

Thread Information