. .

Thread: Optoport

Hi all,

If you are looking for a BOB and want decent features without built-in drivers, have a look at DIY-CNC's optoport BOB. Fully opto-isolated and comes with charge pump and spindle/coolant relays all on the board. It's only real limitation is four axis. It's a very well put together circuit board, feels like a quality item if you know what I mean and its been flawless up to now in my testing.

Have a look and see what you thnk. I'd be interested in others opinions.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

2. Its a nice piece of kit, and reasonably priced, although I made my own on principle :)

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Its a nice piece of kit, and reasonably priced, although I made my own on principle :)
    Damn you;)

Although I can solder wires etc, circuit boards and I have never really got along. Usually starts ok and then I bridge a track with an absent minded flick and after that it all gets very messy and soldery so I tend now to buy in my technology ready made. :)

I agree, it is a nice board and the separate relay board he has is just as nice, charge pump protected too, bought that in case I want to add a solenoid switched air jet on the router head.

Roy from DiyCNC does some good kit, I have a few Driver 25's and they are great.

Michael.

I recived my Optoport 2 days ago. Only got to use it very breifly before I had to leave for the other side of the country, but I liked the little of it that I have seen so far. Would like to know what others think too.

Had a fair bit of gear off Roy over a period of time, good stuff and a nice guy to deal with.
    I have had a couple of things go wrong but I feel it's more how a person gets out of trouble more than anything else.

In Roy's case the boards were promptly dealt with, repaired and returned free of charge with no fingers pointed at who or what was at fault.

Awesome service.

John S -

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Been looking at his stuff for a while.....I really like the look of it! Pricing is good too.....4 axis is just right for a milling machine :)

You going for the 5th Jeff :naughty:
    In time, in time

I blew my Optoport up (again). messing about with the laser cross, wire got caught in the R&P, shorted across and FIZZZZ, POP, a sound I am becoming familiar with hence the total rewiring job into cable chain, no more loose wires!

Feel a bit sheepish sending it back for repair again but is is such a nice peice of kit.

I just bought the Uniport from Roy. Does everything the Optoport does but has three onboard relays which work from the USB 5v (no external power needed other than the USB).

Regards, Jeff.

I'll take the dead "Optoport" if your just going to bin it Jeff?
    .Me

Thread Information