. .
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    rough machined spindle and housing

pulley key machined

spindle exploded assy

I thought I would post an update on the mill progress. I have been a bit busy fitting a kitchen, drawing tractors for my son and somwhere along the way had time to make anther sprog - due soon!

As you can expect progress has not been great on the mill front, however I have the spindle operating and have made some cuts in delrin then steel . The machine performed ok but I am now making improvements. The next few post will bring you up to latest progress

These shots show the spindle drive pulley arrangement. Tensioning of the high speed belt is achieved by rotating a block in which the counter shaft is mounted (eccentrically). The low speed (v belt) is tensioned by rotating the pulley assembly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	129.jpg 
Views:	617 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	3791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	128.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	202.3 KB 
ID:	3789

note that no guards have been added yet but are on the list before the mill is complete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	131.jpg 
Views:	512 
Size:	205.4 KB 
ID:	3790  

The anti backlsh seemed to work ok but I had an idea how to improve them. I modified the design so that the two nut halves are radially fixed to each other but axially free. this was acheived using 4 off 3mm rods in close fitting holes in both nut halves. The slave nut is threaded with a fine thread and an outer collar threaded on. this is biased with a tprsional spiring to take up any backlash. hopefuly this greasy sketch might help - it was used when I was machining the parts so it is not the clearest:

Name:	135.jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	3792

drilling the holes for the rods in the nut halves

Name:	070.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	3793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	071.jpg 
Views:	550 
Size:	258.9 KB 
ID:	3794

machining castelations in the collar

Name:	073.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	3795

some surgery to the bed to fit the larger diameter nuts in - I love machining cast iron!

Name:	012-1.jpg 
Views:	589 
Size:	274.7 KB 
ID:	3796

X axis nut in position but biasing spring not fitted over collar (lash up wiring shown!)

Last edited by Andrew Wilding; 21-02-2011 at 10:53 PM. Reason: add more pics

one more picture showing x axis nut

Name:	133.jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	3797

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Wilding For This Useful Post:

8. Nice build :)

Bill

thanks for sharing your build keep up the good work.
    there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid answers !!!!

Cheers all

BillTodd I looked up you roller nut for your mill conversion when I was wondering what would be a good low cost ballscrew alternative. Are you still using this and if so how is it going? I would be interested to see how the nut has worn. I decided against it as the chosen solution for a couple of reasons:

mainly space - it is tight enough with the current arrangement and i am not sure that I could have got a roller screw to fit without making it more complecated
    Time - it seemed a time consuming (but rewarding) method

but could see the efficiency advantage.

11. BillTodd I looked up you roller nut for your mill conversion when I was wondering what would be a good low cost ballscrew alternative. Are you still using this and if so how is it going?
    They're working really well, well enough for me to consider replacing the fixed nuts on my Haighton as well.

As you say, the space requirement is the main drawback. I've been eyeing Mike Everman's quad bearing design and wondering if I could use it with some compact bearings instead of my twin roller type.

Bill

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information