. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Hull, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 28-04-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 72.
    Hi all Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triggersmall.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	3416This is a trigger from a woodwork clamp.
    It is not so clear but the noes or top right hand bit has broken off.
    It is made of a cast type plastic good smooth outer but honeycombe on the inside.
    So I have been asked if I can make new handles. Yes I can make them but new to cnc so not sure how to get this shape into the Gcode as is needed.

can anyone offer some good advice please.
    this is a bigger pic well it was ment to be lol can not seem to get it to the right size.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	triggersmall.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	3417

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Yes I can make them but new to cnc so not sure how to get this shape into the Gcode as is needed.
    You need 3d cad/cam to draw/scan and generate the Gcode. This type of software does not come cheap.

How many do you want to make ?

Phil

Lives in Hull, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 28-04-2016 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 72.
    around 6 intotal I have the ally sheet to do it with lol its just the chair keyboard interface that is a bit dodgy. I have solid works and solid Cam but dont know how to use them really yet they are so complicated.

From the photo it looks like it's basically flat with pockets cut out, if so, I'd do it this way...

Photograph it next to a ruler (make sure you use a longish lens and are square to the object to minimise distortion) or scan it.

Load the image it into inkscape and trace round it manually - also create a box 1cm long by tracing the ruler.

Export from inkscape in DXF format and load that into Cambam.

Clean it up in Cambam (may need to resize using 1cm box as reference), define machining operations and generate the gcode.

Inkscape is free, Cambam is reasonably priced and you can use it quite a few times before you have to pay for it - should be plenty for this project.

HTH
    Mark

Kai

FatFreddies suggestion involves two more software packages, he didn't look closely enough to see that the inner edges have a radii

And you will not be able to reproduce those shapes using his method as a rounding over cutter will not go into the sharp corners.

So the only true way is 3D, it seems you already have the software so you must learn to use it, if you have a funny version it is hard to ask questions without being asked questions if you know what i mean.

Phil

No Its a Student version I am doing CNC operator at college waiting to get on the CAD CAM course. To make it easy I was a blacksmith untill an accident in 200 this left me disabled I retrained to computer networks and have done that for a few years but really miss making stuff and fixing things. So I have just been made redundent and with money bought two machines lathe an mill both denfords from I2I on here he is a great bloke and the support is out of this world with what he has done for me. Oh and no he is not paying me to say this I belive is say good where it is not just slagging people off too many complain but never enough praise where it's due these days.
    The molded shape is not needed just the nose top right and the hole ir the main datum bits the rest as long as it works and is near this shape great.

Kai if that is the case you could do it the way FatFreddie mentions, but you really need to learn to use what what you already have as that would be best for you in the long run.

It may be better to ask if there are any solid works users on here that could help you to get the part under-way

Some software just doesn't work for some people yet others find it easy and vice versa. I dont use solidworks so cant offer any assistance in that respect.

Phil

PM Sent

Phil

You could use solidworks to trace the part if it can import an image to trace or use inkscape as I described and then import the DXF into solidworks. I've used solidworks in the past and it's a great program but it does take a bit of getting used to. No experience of solidcam I'm afraid.

Alternatively you could measure it carefully and create the sketch in solidworks from the measurements.

If I remember correctly, you'll need to create a sketch of the outline and then extrude that to the thickness of the plate. You then create sketches on the face of that part to define the holes / pockets / counterbores and create extruded cuts from those sketches. I'm not sure how solidcam works but in cambam you would then use the outline to create a profile machining operation (MOP) and then the other shapes to create pocket or drill MOPs.

Got the PM thanks M250cnc I will call you as soon as my parents leave lol I'm nearly 40 and they still think I'm there little blue eyed boy (monster)
    In my case lol if its too late I will try to make it wednesday as I have to take the car for new brake lines oh joy and exspense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information