. .
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    If I lower the Velocity I get no stalling but if you listen carefully every 10 secs or so you will notice a slight motor hesitation noise.

Last edited by Lee Roberts; 25-10-2019 at 11:13 PM.

2. Disconnect the direction cable and try again and see if the 10 second noise goes?
    do you have access to a scope?

The only problem I'm really facing now is this hesitation once about every 8-9 seconds. At slower velocity the motors do not stall. I've even disconnected the Direction Pulse to see if that helps but nothing helps. I don't have access to a Desktop machine and so am keen to get this laptop working.

5. Is this problem the same with both axis? IF so it is definately the signals from the laptop.
    Have you got anything running in the background on the laptop? close all non essential processes down.
    What is the spec of the laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    The only problem I'm really facing now is this hesitation once about every 8-9 seconds. At slower velocity the motors do not stall. I've even disconnected the Direction Pulse to see if that helps but nothing helps. I don't have access to a Desktop machine and so am keen to get this laptop working.

Bruce, I see you've asked the question in the Mach3 Yahoo group and they are giving the same answer I gave you earlier. Laptops have serious issues with MACH3. I got reasonable results by doing the optimization dance and running RMClock and demoting my laptop to Win2000 but you are running on a knife edge all the time.

I had the exact same problem as you. After all my tweaking, I still had this annoying little twitch every few seconds, like a little "tick" and I had to run my machine at a crazy 500mm/min to avoid missed steps and stalls. IMO, the problem lies solely in the laptop. If it is an Intel CPU, disable SmartStep or whatever it is called in the BIOS, put Win2000 on it set up as a Standard PC, No desktop backgrounds etc, turn off all power management and install RMClock, set it to "MAXIMAL PERFORMANCE" (keep an eye on your temp levels!) and make sure the "Run HLT" box in management is ticked. You might be lucky and have a usable sytem at that point, I did but it was touch and go and my CPU temps were getting to meltdown point. You could also install a free program called SpeedFan to automatically control your laptops fans to keep things cool, not perfect but it works.

Seriously Bruce, in my honest opinion you have two options, desktop or something to take the strain off the laptops parallel port, i.e. a SmoothStepper.

My Dell C640 laptop before the SmoothStepper had to be stripped to the bones to run Mach3 with any smoothness and then only slowly. Now it is back to XP Pro, my CAD/CAM software can run at the same time as Mach3 and my CPU doesn't get above 47 degrees.

I'll probably get shot down for this but that's my opinion, having had almost identical problems to you and having to solve them myself. Take it for what it's worth. Good luck anyway.
    Last edited by Smiler; 17-09-2008 at 07:17 PM.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

I can now confirm that this is definately a problem with the laptop (i know i know - you've been saying this all along).
    How have I confirmed this? You know the regular 'tick' that happens every 8-9 seconds is so regular that if I jog for about 4 secs then don't jog for 2 seconds and then jog again I get the tick at the 3rd sec i.e. similar timing to jogging continuously.
    This tick does not vanish even with different microstep values.

I can now confirm that this is definately a problem with the laptop (i know i know - you've been saying this all along).
    How have I confirmed this? You know the regular 'tick' that happens every 8-9 seconds is so regular that if I jog for about 4 secs then don't jog for 2 seconds and then jog again I get the tick at the 3rd sec i.e. similar timing to jogging continuously.
    This tick does not vanish even with different microstep values.
    Have a look in your BIOS for SpeedStep if it is an Intel CPU, that is what is causing the interupt most likely. If you can disable it then do so but be aware that your CPU might default to the lowest speed (mine dropped to 1.2Ghz from 2.4) once you boot back into windows.

Can you go with a desktop Bruce or are you stuck with the laptop like me?

I have to use one because a desktop would be dead in a week or so in the damp atmosphere we live in, at least I can bring the laptop and control enclosure indoors after using my machine.

Hope you get it sorted soon.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

Even with SpeedStep Disabled and the the Computer configured as a Standard PC I get this annoying tick once every 8-9 seconds.

A laptop is also what I can only use because the mill is installed in the garage.

I know very little about commercial CNC software, but is this running under Windows? Windows will occasionally go off and do something else for a while suspending all other programs.

Under XP you can latch on to a regular interrupt set at 1000 per second but you can't mess with the timer settings.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information