. .
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    my first cnc project from the start. as i type i am formating a pc that will be dedicated just to cnc.
    my board came today from ebay very fast delivery 2 days.
    i will post more as i get on.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3514.JPG 
Views:	634 
Size:	313.3 KB 
ID:	3498

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3515.JPG 
Views:	598 
Size:	306.4 KB 
ID:	3499

2. Ah, the ubiquitous TB6560 3-axis board from eBay... If you haven't already, you might want to search for TB6560 and look at other threads related to these boards...

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Ah, the ubiquitous TB6560 3-axis board from eBay... If you haven't already, you might want to search for TB6560 and look at other threads related to these boards...
    i have but pressed the buy it now!! i hope it gives me some probs so i can help others :)

well got the pc up and running and the steppers all wired up plugged in and running
    no probs as yet

hahahah!!! nice one chris... its ages since i was in that position watching them motors turn on the road runner g-code
    it was all magical mystical shit to me (still is a bit)
    iv got the 5 axis version of your board, my motors are a bit bigger than yours and dont really get hot at all on 24v, iv heard plenty of people reporting how hot the motors get, i think in some cases its pretty normal

The motors make useful hand warmers this time of year :-)

Mine run on the edge of too hot to touch and I haven't had any problems yet - 80 degrees C above ambient seems a common maximum.

7. Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddie View Post
    The motors make useful hand warmers this time of year :-)

Mine run on the edge of too hot to touch and I haven't had any problems yet - 80 degrees C above ambient seems a common maximum.
    I hope not... 85degC absolute case temp is the maximum recommended temp you should run a stepper at - higher than that and you risk internal breakdown and demagnetisation.... remember inside its going to be a lot hotter!

an 85degC case is too hot to touch for most people. Maplin do a cheap £19 multimeter with a temp probe thats a useful bit of kit for playing with electrics...

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    I hope not... 85degC absolute case temp is the maximum recommended temp you should run a stepper at - higher than that and you risk internal breakdown and demagnetisation.... remember inside its going to be a lot hotter!

an 85degC case is too hot to touch for most people. Maplin do a cheap £19 multimeter with a temp probe thats a useful bit of kit for playing with electrics...
    Sorry, yes - 130 degrees max internal which is about 85 degrees on the case. This website seems to think 70-80 degrees is normal - bit of a useless temperature that - hot enough to want to avoid touching but not hot enough to make tea.

80 degrees above ambient is pretty tepid in my garage at the moment so I don't think it will be a problem for a while :-)

Quote Originally Posted by FatFreddie View Post
    Sorry, yes - 130 degrees max internal which is about 85 degrees on the case. This website seems to think 70-80 degrees is normal - bit of a useless temperature that - hot enough to want to avoid touching but not hot enough to make tea.
    Hot enough if you're 6700m above sea level!

My motors (3nm size 23, 4.2A on 75v) rarely got hot. The vast majority of the time I can barely feel any temperature rise. It's only when the machine has been running for a long time that they start to get hot. I think the drivers reducing the current to 50% when stationary helps here.
    It makes me wonder if I can up the current a bit and get a bit more torque/speed. It's on 4.09A, could try 4.64A. That'd be up to 30% more heat I think (I^2*R), or 20% above rated power.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 26-12-2010 at 01:09 PM.

10. What motors are those Chris?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information