. .
    Hi everyone,

Ok, I have my electronics mounted in my enclosure (Sun Microsystems server case) which came with three 120mm fans. The fans are 12V, 1.3a and 4 wire so I assume PWM controlled. Putting 12V across the +/- wires, the fans easily generate a category 3 hurricane and deafen everyone in a 1 mile radius so I need to sloooooow them down. What is the easiest way of doing this? I was told that simply shorting the other two wires would run the fans at their lowest speed but didn't want to try it until I had it confirmed.

Any advice gratefully accepted as always.
    Nothing is foolproof......to a sufficiently talented fool!

I would get a fan speed controller from ebay, they cost next to nothing and will give you want you want, you could always try making your own that would be nice to see.

Post up your pics to this thread and ill turn it into a build log of your controller box, i'm almost done with mine and its very similar to what you have done, thus a controller Build Log section is born !

I'v attully used some higher rated fans in my case, they are that bit more in price over the cheap ones you can get but...

Fans: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=014

Controller: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-ports-PC-fan...3286.m20.l1116

You could also try putting some cap's inline that may bring the noise down a bit.

Just found this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-25-LCD-Panel...ayphotohosting
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 16-09-2008 at 01:51 AM.
    .Me

[quote=Lee Roberts;1287]I would get a fan speed controller from ebay, they cost next to nothing and will give you want you want, you could always try making your own that would be nice to see.

Make....my....own.... Are you serious? I am the man who cannot even spell razister let alone know how to use one. I suppose it would be nice to see providing you get a kick out of looking at magic smoke :). I downloaded a file detailing how to convert a PC psu to use for powering them but got lost just after the screws came out so I ditched that idea too. (please don't insut me by saying "it's easy")

Post up your pics to this thread and ill turn it into a build log of your controller box, i'm almost done with mine and its very similar to what you have done, thus a controller Build Log section is born !

I will do that and the pics of my progress on the machine up to date.

I'v attully used some higher rated fans in my case, they are that bit more in price over the cheap ones you can get but...

Wish I'd known, this case of mine also came with two very nice 80mm three wire fans connected to the PSU. Being Sunmicro, I'm willing to bet they are very high spec. You could have had them for the postage.

You could also try putting some cap's inline that may bring the noise down a bit.

Ok, so how do I g...zzzzzzzzzzzzz

FX: Jeff wakes with a start!:o

Thanks for the links Lee. THe first one (the twin controller) looks promising. Just got to find a suitable PSU now.

Can you not just put a PSU in the case and do it that way?

I'm building the controlling PC into the same case so mine is more of an all in one box, i'v not even used screed cable for any of it so cant wait to see what happens when i trun it all on.
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Can you not just put a PSU in the case and do it that way?

Yes, I'm looking out for a suitable PSU on Ebay.

I'm building the controlling PC into the same case so mine is more of an all in one box, i'v not even used screed cable for any of it so cant wait to see what happens when i trun it all on.
    I wired my machine up temporarily with plain old 1.0 sqmm cable and it worked fine even with my Makita router running. Maybe I was just lucky:)

6. suitable answer will send you soon sir

Thread Information